seven

today's theme: expositions

"I'm telling you, using the economy as the basis of your argument isn't going to impress the judges one bit. If you size that up to literal human lives being destroyed on the other side, your case doesn't stand a chance," Changbin explained as they took a seat.

"But there isn't much else that I can think of," Jisung complained to him. "Preventing oil drilling? That's such a one-sided topic. There's almost no downsides to it that aren't going to make me look like an asshole that doesn't believe in climate change or some shit."

Wednesdays, like the philosophy of Monday evenings, were also just as ambiguous. They were the middle child of the five days, caught in between the devilish agendas of Monday and the sweet escapes of Friday. 

Wednesdays for the two of them, though, meant debate practice. And this Wednesday especially, with the prospective new recruits coming in (who had hopefully been swayed by Chan's video editing skills), was more important than ever. 

Plus, it also marked two and a half weeks until the first tournament of the season.

And that was why the two of them were currently caught up in the moments before Dance class started, saying things that the rest of their class couldn't understand—or rather, didn't bother to understand.

Dance was, by far, Jisung's favourite class. It wasn't so much that it was the easiest class out of all of the ones he chose to take this year, but more so the way that Mrs. Kim ran it. 

She was one of those hippie teachers that prided themselves in chasing a free spirit and discovering one's inner souls, and she did everything in her power to bring that into the classroom. 

Everyone sat on the floors of the studio, surrounded by walls of mirrors that were dotted with the occasional poster and collection of stickers with motivational quotes. And even then, when the rainbow streamers and potted plants hanging from the ceiling weren't enough, the studio was also attached to a gigantic outdoor pavilion.

Because, Mrs. Kim insisted when she demanded this space, free spirit could not be achieved without the inspiration of our one true birthplace: nature.

Changbin shrugged and leaned back against the wall and watched as students filed in one by one, settling in along the borders of the room, their voices filling up the space. Jisung mimicked his pose, falling into a comfortable silence between the two as they both started thinking about the qualms of the debate topic they were assigned to.

Jisung's trance was broken by the gossiping next to him.

"I heard he comes from Singapore and he's incredibly rich."

"He is really mysterious. Yves has English with him, and she told me that he never answers anybody's questions and he only gives you a half smile."