three

today's theme: reconnection

"This is the year." Jisung pumped his arms in the air as he walked into the auditorium. 

The Monday afternoon of the second week, and the first debate practice. The fresh smell of the newly-cleaned auditorium welcomed him home at the start of every year, back into debate season. It was an underrated feeling, but it was one of the best.

"This is the year I'm getting that spot in the Champion's Rendezvous."

He could hear Hyunjin let out a short laugh from the front row seat. "As amazing as you are at debate, you self-appointed star, mavericks never make it in. Your record could be as spotless as Chan's body count, and the GDB would rather invite Seungmin and Jeongin than you and your single ass."

Chan, choosing to ignore the snide remark, was sitting on the edge of the auditorium stage, fiddling with his laptop that was connected to the giant hanging screen. "Stay positive, kiddo," he smiled at Jisung encouragingly. "You could be the first maverick at CR."

Jisung flicked Hyunjin lightly as he took a seat next to Jeongin, who was currently discussing with Seungmin their next tournament and their prep for it.

"I think," Jeongin stared at his open laptop quizzically, "we could definitely argue wildlife habitat destruction, and then maybe discuss its effects on local ports and low-income households." Seungmin nodded, furiously typing and taking notes. 

Jisung waved to Yuna, who had just entered the auditorium, before slinging his arm around Jeongin casually. He watched as he whispered something in Seungmin's ear. Something about nuclear war.

Jisung sighed, sinking lower into the plush seat and leaning his head further onto the back board until he could see the ceiling. 

Even though he'd never admit it to his face, Hyunjin was right, and Chan's spontaneous pep talk was just blanketing a duvet of false hopes. 

Nobody ever made it into the Champion's Rendezvous on a maverick. Not that it mattered, really, given that there were so little of them, so few and far in between; in fact, Jisung was probably one of 30 mavericks in this entire universe. 

Everyone liked partnerships in debate, especially the Global Debate Board. And they made that blatantly clear when reviewing your file on whether or not you qualified to stand among the prestiges in Switzerland every year. 

Every year, Jisung filed his application at the end of April, and every year, he would read the same letter sent to him in late May. Dear Han Jisung, it would say. We regret to inform you that we are unable to find a spot for you in this year's International Rendezvous of the Champions. 

They always said it was because there were people with better achievements out there. But when he would open the live streaming broadcasts to watch in June, he'd see the faces of people he had competed against—and beaten—and knew very well where they stood.

Even in the debate world, there was a hierarchy. 

"Sung, did you hang up the poster?" Chan hopped down from where he was sitting on the stage, kicking the power outlet gently. "I just uploaded the demo videos onto the Academy's forum." He looked giddy. "We already got two views!"

Almost as if on cue, the two nuclear war buddies raised their hands, eyes not even bothering to leave their screens. "Us," they said in unison, like they came straight out of The Shining.

Hyunjin giggled into the straw of his iced coffee. "A sad reality, for the sad captain." He took a deafening slurp. "Ah, Americano."

Chan crossed his arms defiantly and opened his mouth, about to say something, but his face dropped and was suddenly replaced with a huge smile. It was borderline creepy. 

"Welcome to the Academy's debate team!" He called out cheerfully, to a skinny novice standing at the entrance to the auditorium. His body was covered by the half-open door, blonde hair and freckles bobbing out and peering into their gathering curiously.

Felix tentatively took a step onto the carpeted floor, making his way down to the front, where they all sat. "Uh, hi," he said, hands rubbing his neck shyly. "My name's Felix."

Chan smiled his unnervingly bright smile a second time. "And my name's Bang Chan!"

Hyunjin snorted, gurgling his Americano. "And I'm from Australia."

"Felix!" Jisung jumped to his feet, running over to greet the boy. "I'm glad you came. I was beginning to think my rambling might've scared you off a little." 

He laughed in response. "No, no, it actually comforted me a little bit. I can get quite hyper too," he reassured him, patting him on the shoulder. 

Jisung smiled widely. "Well, then, I think we'll get along just fine. How was your first week of school?"

"Not as horrible as I thought. People here are nice, and I'm just more or less finding ways not to be a loner here," he said, taking a quick glance at the auditorium door. "But I think it's been harder for my brother. He just started school today, a week late, because it took some time for the Academy to figure out some stuff for him."

Jisung vaguely remembered Felix mentioning him a week ago. "Didn't you say your brother was good at debate? Maybe we've met him at a tournament before or something—it'd be great to have him on the team. Where is he?" he looked behind Felix for another figure.

Felix shifted on his feet, eyes slightly downcast. "Well, uh, I think you probably—"

"Oh my god!"

Changbin came bolting through the doors, zooming towards them. He nearly collided with Felix, who was standing in the middle of the aisle. 

"Sorry—oh hello there—I mean, apologies—I mean, guys!" Changbin stumbled, patting a frazzled Felix on the back and catching his breath before standing back up again. 

"You won't fucking believe who transferred into the Academy." 

Jisung shared a look with Chan, before looking back at him. Everyone was staring at Changbin and his sudden outburst, even Seungmin and Jeongin. 

Hyunjin broke the split second's worth of silence. "I am the dramatic one here. Stop stealing my vibe and just tell us." He took a bite out of a muffin that he had dug out of his bag.

Felix took this moment to step in. "Look, no, I was just going to tell yo—"

"Felix? Is this where you wanted me to go?" 

1/29/21

Song of the Day: DAHLIA by (G)-idle

Movie/Show of the Day: Masterchef Canada

Thoughts of the Day:

Eeeeeeeeeeeee....is all that's going through my head right now. Is there such thing called learned stupidity? It might be just this.