fifty-nine

today's theme: at long last

Minho squeezed his panda. "This is insane."

"I know," Jisung murmured. "They had to get a special permit to build this because it was so big. Honestly, I bet they drove an engineer or two to suicide trying to design a way to make this upright."

He shook his head. "How did I not see this? I bet they have a blip on this from outer space."

"To be fair, it's pretty well-hidden by the trees. Most people don't take note of how big it is until they get up close to it."

They were about half a mile out of the main area of the park, down the third path that took them through a few spirals and isolated roads, eventually landing them here, ten minutes later.

The Ferris Wheel towered over them, blinking in all its glory, slowly turning and glowing with the decorated twines of tinsel and sparkles traveling down its spokes. The platform to get on it alone was a story high, measuring it out into the dark winter sky and looming over everything within at least a twenty mile radius.

Minho had never been to England, but he was sure as hell this humongous number sized up pretty well to the London Eye. It had to.

Jisung began walking towards the platform. "It takes a few minutes to get to the top, and we're really close to twelve right now. We should hurry."

"I'm really spending New Years on a Ferris Wheel under luxury passes to a theme park," the older boy murmured, scurrying after him. "What would the people back home say?"

"They'd probably ask you for Hyunjin's number."

"That would be really cool. It's like being friends with a celebrity."

Jisung cocked an eyebrow. "You're literally a celebrity yourself."

They reached the top of the platform, greeted by three staff members. Compared to most of the crew they had met throughout the night, they were dressed fairly simply—uniformed parkas with the Hwang family emblem branded right on top of it.

That had to be the twentieth time they saw that logo tonight. It was like his parents found the need to imprint it onto every god-given structure that had graced their fingertips. In some ways, it just made Jisung feel like he was always being watched whenever he came across it. Hyunjin could very well be watching them through a camera right now and they would never know.

He shuddered at the thought of it.

The man in the front nodded at them, beckoning to the girl in the control booth. Slowing down the wheel and getting ahold of one of the carts, the doors automatically slid open for them.

Minho whistled, climbing in first and setting his panda aside. "They went all out for the smallest of details, huh."

The interior of the capsule was just as intricate as it seemed to be. It was especially spacious for such a confined area, the seats lined with soft cushions and held above ample foot room.