seventeen

today's theme: uncovering

"What even is that?"

Hyunjin proudly showed Jisung the odd contraption in his hands. "It's a golden carving of Gaslamp."

They had arrived at the brothers' apartment in Gaslamp just a few minutes ago, because Jisung had to stop and buy a housewarming gift. He had spent so much time baking last night that the thought of presents had completely slipped his mind.

Hyunjin, on the other hand, had already gotten one as soon as he got the text message last night. How he managed to obtain a pure gold object in less than twelve hours, though, was still a mystery only the shrewd people of First Sector would ever know.

"Housewarming gifts are supposed to be useful," Jisung argued as they walked up the stairs to the fifth floor. "If they wanted to know what Gaslamp Port looked like, they'd look outside."

"But it's made of gold."

"That's even worse."

Hyunjin pushed his hair behind his ears, confused. "Most of our neighbours give away things like these whenever someone new moves in."

"Most of your neighbours also own twelve different estates across Asia alone. Minho's a literal Academy charity case."

Hyunjin shrugged. "Changbin and I offered to let them stay in one of our Mac homes, since we almost never use them. Minho said no before Felix could reply, though."

He sighed dramatically. "Debaters seriously have too much pride."

The brothers' unit was the third one on the right. The apartments here were, staying true to Minho's testimony, squat and historic. They were a beautiful kind of old, with long arches and shingled roofs that lined the outside of these Spanish-styled quarters.

Jisung politely knocked on the door. It opened a moment later to a very exhausted Minho, who had clearly been busy for a while, judging from his unkempt hair and sweaty face.

This image of him was definitely a first. To be fair, people only ever saw him in his debate attire or other fancy regalia, and just recently, the Academy uniform. Thus, seeing him flushed out in a giant pullover and sweatpants was not an expectation many people carried in life, frankly.

Minho pushed up the sleeves of his sweater to his elbows, revealing red imprinted marks on his arms that came from the edges of boxes he had been lugging around all morning.

"Jisung, Hyunjin," he greeted them, slightly out of breath. "Glad you could make it."

"Thanks for inviting us," Hyunjin chirped, stepping into the apartment. He thrusted his present into Minho's unsuspecting hands. "Happy moving day! It's a pure gold cutout of your new home. Freshly crafted last night, and I handpicked the gold bar they used for it too."