five

today's theme: recollection

Jisung was about to follow them when a hand on his arm violently yanked him back.

"I know I did not just see the dark and edgy Mister Vice Captain become speechless for nothing. Who even is that?" Hyunjin asked, still confused.

Jisung took a breath. To be perfectly honest, he was still processing it himself.

"You know that one guy that almost all of us watch obsessively at the end of pretty much every practice?"

"Yeah? You guys are always crying over his skills and saying that you miss him this and want to kiss him that."

"That's him."

"Oh." Hyunjin looked a bit surprised. "I suppose it's kind of a coincidence that the very person you guys idolize just so happened to end up in the Academy himself."

"It's not just us, stupid!" Jisung scoffed. "Do you think those millions of views on his recorded debate rounds are just solely from us? We might be simps, but we're not crazy."

"That's Luh-ee Min-ho," Seungmin said, jumping onto Hyunjin and locking his arms onto his neck from behind. "Renowned child prodigy debater, history maker, the King himself, the literal definition of power and success."

Jeongin nodded, joining the conversation as Chan walked over to insert himself as well. "You can probably count on your fingers the number of times he's ever lost a round. He started back in fourth grade, I think, him and his old partner," he explained, eyes shifting to watch Changbin talk to the celebrity himself and his brother. 

"Champion's Rendezvous is usually open to high school debaters only, but the GDB made an exception just for their team and invited them when they were literally in sixth grade. They even made it to the semifinals in eighth grade, against literal world-class debaters who were double their height and so much older than them."

Jisung rubbed his cheeks in excitement. "There isn't a single non-casual debater that doesn't know about him. Even the GDB recruited him and his partner as poster boys for the organization, and the debate world calls him the King."

Seungmin frowned. "Well, up until like three years ago, at least."

Hyunjin, still carrying Seungmin on his back, looked up to the boy hanging off his shoulder. "What, he disappeared or something?"

Unexpectedly, everyone nodded. "Three years ago, he and his partner entered their freshman year of high school, which meant that the GDB no longer had to make exceptions for them to attend CR every year. But that also meant they'd be formally joining the high school debate circuit, so a lot of people were really excited for the next four years," Jeongin said.

Jisung picked up after him. "Right, and that year went really well. The amount of fame he and his partner already had was enough to get them a sponsorship from Swarovski or something, but it completely skyrocketed after they joined high school."