fifty-seven

today's theme: uncovering

"Is it that one time I borrowed your toothbrush?"

"No."

"Is it because I forgot to pay you back for lunch last month?"

"No."

"Is it because I accidentally ate your limited edition chocolate cheesecake truffle?"

"That was you?"

"...It was Hyunjin!"

Jisung sighed. "I'm not going to kill you. Christ, could you be any more cynical on New Years Eve?"

"You can't expect me not to theorize in this position," Minho mumbled. He blindly stumbled over a rock, hands reaching to his clothed face instinctively.

The younger boy caught him, swatting his hands back down and keeping the blindfold over his eyes intact. "Just a few more steps and we're there."

Minho sighed. "I take back all the times I laughed at Helen Keller."

The blindfold had come out thirty minutes into the car ride, right after they had put their coats back on (Hyunjin had them collected from coat check and prepared in the car), causing an upheaval in what had otherwise been a completely silent trip. Him gasping in refusal, his partner pleading desperately—a hushed catfight and some incessant puppy eyes later, he was blind and bonded.

Jisung didn't really have a good reason for taking away his eyesight. The gift wasn't all that special, but a strike of insecurity left him stranded in the safety nets of using it as an extra element of surprise.

Sixty miles and forty-five minutes later, they were inches away from the culmination of a full month's despair.

A sharp wind blew right past them, reanimating bits of snow that had fallen earlier in the day. Jisung kept his grip on his partner, slowly guiding them down the road. His nerves were building by the moment, anxiety running high at the thought of what was coming next.

He came to a stop. "We're here."

"This is honestly kind of scaring me," Minho murmured. "I think I'm going to have to go home and recalculate your entire present."

He reached for the blindfold again, but the younger boy grabbed his hand. "Wait, I need you to promise me you won't be disappointed."

"Do you take me for someone who judges presents? I'm not an asshole, Ace."

"Just do it, please."

"Okay, okay, I promise. No sadness." He let his partner untie the cloth.

Minho rubbed his eyes. They were standing in front of a giant archway.

"I'm confused."

Jisung jumped in front of him, smiling, holding up two tickets and waving his hands in the air. "Welcome to Wonderland!"