fifty-six

today's theme: separation

Jisung was in pain.

So, so much pain.

His face was stuck in a permanent smile, forcefully pushing his lips backwards and flashing his teeth at the most underwhelming people he had met in his life.

Hyunjin's party was something he looked forward to every year—the food, the festivities, the fun—but the "socialization" hour that started it off was always the worst.

The team had split up, save for Seungmin and Jeongin again, going into the usual pattern of joining and talking amongst random groups of people in the ballroom. This was the "business" part of the event—the perfect time for all these greedy and overachieving people to boast around and market their sad little professions.

Chan had told them to make the best use of it. These people were direct gateways into the professional world, where jobs and internships ran galore. And for a group of adolescents that were just shy of graduation, adulthood needed those opportunities more than anything.

"I think it was six years ago when I first invested in the business," The man in front of him said. He was old and short, but he made up for all of that with his booming voice.

He held a plate of hors d'oeuvers in his left hand. "Since then, our company's expanded into two other districts, and we've been able to upgrade our insurance policies and develop research into minimizing waste caused by excess flow."

Jisung nodded enthusiastically. "That seems really interesting. I'm personally fascinated by how the aquaducts in First Sector operate under such high demands."

He really wasn't. Nobody gave two shits about the City's water systems.

He looked down at the pink wine glass he was holding, watching the drink swirl and sparkle under the ballroom's three-hundred pound chandelier.

The server had called it a "Virgin Love Potion", but it really looked and tasted like sparkling fruit tea. And for someone who was neither a virgin nor desperately looking for love, he certainly felt no magical effects from it.

As the man droned on, Jisung silently searched for the rest of the team around the ballroom. Hyunjin was standing next to his father at the foot of the stage, surrounded by dozens of adults who were all probably sucking up to him and barraging him with compliments. Over by the corner, he could see Chan lightly laughing along to some middle-aged woman, while Changbin was entertaining a six-year-old just a few metres away.

A flash of movement caught his attention from the corner of his eye. A perfect escape route was open.

"It seems like my colleague has run into a bit of an issue," he said politely, taking a step back and bowing at the man. "If you'll excuse me, then."

He slipped next to Bella at the food tables. "You're having a mid-life crisis, and I'm here to help you."

She cocked an eyebrow. "Trying to escape another guest?"