forty-seven

today's theme: perplexities

"I seriously cannot believe you make your own gingerbread." Minho peered into the Hans' large industrial refrigerator, staring at the huge bowl of brown dough resting in there.

Holidays were, more than anything, for eating. That had been proven true when the eight of them had absolutely overstuffed themselves on Blue Caramel food yesterday—there were now eight extra turkeys available in this world for Thanksgiving, Bella had joked—and it was abundantly true today as well.

The first item on Minho and Jisung's holiday itinerary had been ornament decorating, a successful feat that had ended in the large Han tree sparkling against the fireplace—with cartoon Jisung in cat ears landing a spot smack dab in the middle.

Today was reserved for gingerbread decorating. Nobody in the Han family was particularly fond of the holiday treat themselves, but Mrs. Han often visited children shelters in her free time to share desserts, and Jisung would never pass down the chance to do some baking, so it worked hand in hand.

He looped an apron over his neck, then over his partner's. "Store-bought gingerbread just doesn't compare."

"Yeah, but it's convenient. Who needs molasses and brown sugar when you have the Pillsbury Dough Boy as your eternal cake slave?"

He giggled, tying Minho's apron strings before turning around and letting his partner do the same thing to him. "The Pillsbury Dough Boy doesn't even make really good dough."

"Careful, he might haunt your dreams and curse you to have sour dough forever." Minho reached into the refrigerator, taking out the gingerbread dough that Jisung had made and left to chill this morning.

"In that case, I'll just make sourdough bread for the rest of my life." The younger boy cleared out a space on the counter, moving the cutters and frosting packets out of the way and dropping the fat roll of dough onto the granite surface.

"Imagine all the sandwiches you could make with that," Minho joked, handing him a rolling pin. "I do love a good turkey avocado."

"Wrong. If anything, it's going to be a million grilled cheeses."

"With tomato!"

"What?" Jisung stopped kneading the dough to look at him, disgusted. "There's no way."

Minho crossed his arms. "Tomato and grilled cheese just go so well together."

"Tomato soup, you mean."

"Soup and slices inside the sandwich itself are both great combinations." He drummed his fingers on the granite, smirking. "Just like pineapple on pizza."

"That's it. I'm done." Jisung held the rolling pin in the air threateningly, but he had a smile on his face. "Get out of my house right now before I call animal control."