sixty-four

today's theme: twists

It had been an accident.

The captain hadn't meant to actively turn into a complete stalker. He had only planned on passing through Western for some window shopping—and possibly actual shopping.

Why wouldn't he? He had deserved it. His job interview had gone extremely well this morning, and he was ahead on his college entrance exam preparations anyway. Chores were finished, groceries full (Ciara had given him a discount!), and he and Changbin had finished Toronto preparations last night. Productivity was a beautiful thing, and he ought to be rewarded for it.

Or so he thought, walking into that secondhand electronics shop.

God was playing some mysterious games, because running into Bella and Brandon in the middle of an aisle of headphones certainly did not feel like a prize in the slightest.

Chan wasn't illogical, by any means. Compared to some people and their brash tendency to move forward on spontaneous whims, he never found himself in majorly stupid situations. But watching them walk eerily close together to the cashier, Brandon pulling out a sleek gold card and swiping it confidently before ushering her out the door like that?

Maybe acting like Jisung was okay, every so often. As long as Changbin never found out—he'd kill him for sure.

Jisung coughed, breaking the silence. "Shit, Chan, you're really down bad."

"I'm not."

"Yeah, yeah you are."

Chan groaned. "Don't you have things to do and places to be? Stop bothering me. I deal with you enough at school."

"We were headed for the arcade," the younger boy shrugged, "but this is kind of more entertaining than that."

"It was a coincidence." He crossed his arms defiantly. "I have better business than to follow them around on Sunday afternoons."

"Don't be too hard on yourself," Jisung teased him, bumping his hip lightly. "We follow people around all the time."

"He," Marcus interjected hurriedly. "He follows people around."

"Don't just isolate yourself from me!"

"No, he's got a point," Chan sighed. "That's pretty embarrassing."

"You're doing it right now!"

"At least I'm not proud of it!"

"I love bashing Jisung and everything," Marcus mused, ignoring his friend's glare, "but if you're trying to follow them, they just went inside."

The two of them whipped their heads around to face the street, just in time to see a shadow of Brandon's flat white sneaker disappear through the revolving doors of one of Western's larger department stores.