fourteen

today's theme: overthinking

"Do all of you live in such extravagant places?" Felix bit into his burger.

It was mid-Friday. Deviating from the norm of Autumn in the City, Mother Nature seemed to have recently kissed them with the blessing of perfect weather. What should have been steadily dropping temperatures and an increasing need to bundle up turned into perfect skies and the delusion that one was in summer.

The Academy spared no expenses in taking full use of this momentary natural bliss, students spilling out onto the outdoor pavilions during lunch. Today's blue skies were met with the wafting grey hues of barbecue smoke, as the Academy's chefs flipped burgers and other delights on massive grills out on the lawn, a nice break from the indoor kitchens. 

Jeongin shrugged. He was picking the olives out of his salad and dropping them into Chan's. "I think most the Academy lives somewhere in Macmillan or the Western Quarters. So I guess?"

Felix looked confused. "The what?" They often seemed to forget that he and his brother had moved here less than a month ago.

"They're the names of two of the Districts," Changbin explained. "The City's split up into about six different major residential communities, and they each have their own distinct cultures or specializations in industries."

"Mac carries specialties in literature and education, hence the Academy's prestigious location in it, while Western's very based around technology. You also have places like Gaslamp, home of the City's origins and history, or Modenna, where a lot of our medicine comes from."

Felix swallowed. "This sounds incredibly classist," he commented half-jokingly. "You sure you're not gearing up for a commoner's revolution?"

Chan shook his head. "We work against systemic oppression a lot here. The City's welfare programs, justice and prison complexes, as well as our shelters for victims of any kind are all top-notch, so to ensure that anyone can get back on their feet at any time. Plus, our legal system ensures that rich people aren't exploiting the poor."

He caught Felix staring. "You're required to keep up with social issues and current events as a debater. You never know when something might turn into a topic, and the more background information you have, the better. It's essential."

The freckled boy nodded. "Hyunjin told me that yesterday. He invited me to his house so we could get to know each other as potential partners and maybe introduce me to a little debate stuff." 

He lowered his voice and hid his face behind his burger, eyes as wide as saucers. "His house is fucking massive."

"I'm literally sitting right beside you."

"Hyunjin and Changbin live in First Sector," Seungmin spoke. First Sector housed the City's politicians, lawmakers, and people who dabbled in economy and finances. It was known to be the unspoken richest District, followed by Macmillan and Western, respectively.