fifteen

today's theme: direction

As some of the world's greatest historians would say, history repeats itself.

Now, if you pass this statement onto psychologists, they'll probably tell you all the ways this is made possible by human behaviour and our tendencies to act in certain situations, thus prompting a never-ending cycle of the same events.

At the same time, philosophers would use this as a chance to lament about all the ways in which humanity works, or some other lifeless observation.

But if you were to invite all of humanity's greatest literary and social experts into one room, absolutely none of them would be able to predict the parallels of Friday and Wednesday this week.

Minho had skipped lunch again, he was hungry again, and he was sitting next to Jisung for the purpose of debate again. They had been in one spot since school ended. Again.

Fate truly needed to reconsider its affairs with Coincidence.

Minho closed his laptop with a satisfied thud. It had been a few hours since they arrived at the library, and they had finally finished.

He stretched backwards, a happy cat in the slivers of the peeking sunlight. Jisung now had a preliminary case that was long enough for him to print out and wrap around the entire Academy, which meant he his foundation was all set. All that was left was to start cutting and shaping them into speeches.

"I really can't tell you how grateful I am for you mentoring me," Jisung thanked him yet again as he packed up his belongings. The jitteriness that came with every tournament, the worrying state he found himself in this morning, had all but dissipated into thin air, as if it never existed at all.

Minho really did know how to straighten things out. It was an amazing feat. He couldn't keep track of how many times he had told Minho thanks, but it probably would never be enough.

Minho laughed. "I'm your friend, not your teacher, Ace. I'm always around, anytime." He stared at his laptop, his gaze softening. 

"Plus, it was a nice refresher."

The two of them walked out of the study room, keeping their conversation quiet and in accordance with the building's volume limits. The third floor was practically empty by now, save for a few dawdling club meetings and other people who had also lost track of time. The library was closing in about an hour, or at least when the sky would start turning pink, so they were all hurrying to finish up their tasks of the day.

"Ironically enough, the hard part for me starts now," Jisung sighed as he pressed the button for the first floor in the elevator. "If there's one thing I'm horrible at, it's shaving down my current material into a single opening speech."

He leaned against the moving walls. "I mean, how do you even figure out what to leave out and what to say? I just feel like I need to say everything or nothing. No in between. I can't just pick what part of my baselines to use."