sixty-eight

today's theme: unravel

"So tell me." Jisung clicked through a document he had pulled up on his screen. "In regards to your arguments over current nuclear weapon testing laws, what exactly is the alternative to the status quo?"

One of the girls sitting across from them, Autumn apparently, locked her jaw tightly. "It's not the burden of the affirmation to provide a solution. We are only here to provide insight on the topic at hand, which doesn't include finding any alternatives."

"Right, but it's implicit to the core of your case when you yourself are arguing the solvency of the situation. If your argument centers around the lack of practicality in current methods of testing, then it is objectively your responsibility to prove that a world in which better structures exist are plausible."

"But that's where you're wrong," his opponent deadpanned assertively. "This entire debate from our side comes in a purely theoretical standpoint where most of it has boiled down to the morality aspect."

Her partner, a short-haired girl named Emma, piped in. "Our argument with practicality stands at a position where it's over the ethics of current testing laws, and nothing else. Under those circumstances, it means standing for affirmation and proposing alternatives can be mutually exclusive."

"What makes the issue of morality different from an issue of technicalities, though?" Jisung pressed further, digging his pen further into his notepad. "Both live on a scale of qualities, and both can be improved. What's not to say that morals can't be improved? If you can't give me anything, then you're just stating blank and empty advocacies here."

A beeping sound emerged from the back of the room. An older man leaned forward in his chair, switching off the digital timer in front of him. Almost immediately, both sides quieted down and switched their gaze to him.

"That's time for the second questioning period." Jisung nodded at the judge, who gave him a curt but silent response. "Next speech begins the rebuttal segment, first goes to affirmation. Prep time?"

The girls nodded, abruptly shedding their aggressive front for politeness. "Ninety seconds."

Giving an indication to the judge, he showed the face of his timer to them promptly. "Ninety seconds, beginning now."

The two of them turned to each other and quickly began talking in hushes voices, discussing their next moves under the ticking clock before Emma could get up and speak.

Jisung turned to his partner sitting next to him. "They're pretty good."

"Huh?" Minho looked up from his computer. 

"Emma and Autumn." He nudged his head in their direction subtly, whispering under his breath. "They're from the Elden Preparatory School, too. The team that won CR came from their team two years ago."