seventy

today's theme: borderline

----- Arc Three: Commencement -----

"Come on, pleeeeease."

"But it doesn't look fun!"

"It is! It was so cool!" Minho crossed his arms. "We sat in this really huge performance hall, and there were like, hundreds of people in there. And those four people at the front—look, right here! right here!—they talked so fast, and it was so cool. And their clothes were so cool too—"

"It's just arguing."

He shook his head vehemently. "It's called debate, Florence. It's hosted by some thing called the Global Debate Board. And that tournament in Switzerland, they call it the Champion's Rendezvous."

"It's Rahn-day-vou, not Ren-dezz-vuss."

"See? You're already arguing with me! You can totally do it!"

Florence flopped back onto her bed, sighing. "Why do I have to do it as well?" she whined. "I like my current stuff."

"We can still do dance class together! And it's not like, it's not like painting will be affected." Minho sat up, pleading. "Pleeeease. We can just try it out one time."

"Why me, though? Why not ask Fei?"

"Ask me what?" Feifan popped through the door, fresh out of the shower, followed by her mother. She clamored over to the two of them, climbing onto Florence's bed and picking up Minho's tablet. "What is this?"

"Minho saw some weird thing at Switzerland, and now he wants to try it. It's called debate, apparently. But he's trying to force me into it."

"I'm not forcing you!" he whined. "I just think it's so cool, but you need a partner, and I wanna get Flo to do it with me."

"I heard about the Champion's Rendezvous trip from your father," Mrs. Yuan chuckled, picking up the littered toys on the floor. "He said you really liked it."

"It is! It's so cool!"

Feifan scrunched her nose. "It looks boring."

"Seeeee? Even Fei says so! Mom, tell him it's boring!"

"I don't know, Flo." She shrugged, placing a few books back onto the shelves. "I did watch a little bit of the clips Mrs. Lee sent me. You could probably learn a few things from it."

"Mom!"

"Sorry, sorry." She laughed. "Didn't you say you wanted to see Minho more often, though? This would be pretty cool for you both."

Florence turned bright red. "No! What? I never said that—what—" she sputtered loudly. "I did not!"

"You did. You kept telling me after school."