03. Stars In The Dark

"If you really want to keep your job here, then do it properly. Mikasa, you are always zoning out. What is wrong with you?" Manager Braun confronted me.

A blonde girl then suddenly went beside me and held my shoulders.

"Manager Braun, I am sure Mikasa also has her personal problems too. I will just help her." She said. Manager Braun sighed and left.

"Thanks. I didn't know what to say when Manager Braun is scolding me." I smiled.

"I am Historia. You haven't seen me before right? I don't usually do night shifts but today is different." She smiled back at me and continued doing her work.

She looks like an angel. And she is literally my angel just earlier. She saved me from all Manager Braun's scolding and everything. He usually scolds me for being a little off everyday. I just have a lot in mind.

"A slice of red velvet please." A voice in front of me said.

"Eren?" I said and looked at him as if I saw a dead person in front of me right now.

"Are you shocked?" He asked and I nodded.

"Come on, work work work. You can do it. I figured I might help you by buying a cake here. Might give you some commission." He smiled but it's not an obvious smile.

"Should I be thanking you?" I rolled my eyes.

"Yes? No? It's up to you." He said. I ignored him and put a slice of red velvet cake in a container, sealed it properly, took a paper bag, placed it inside, and gave it to him, along with the receipt.

"That would be five bucks. Thank you so much, sir. Have a nice day." I greeted him politely. He handed his payment. It was exactly five bucks so no need for a change.

"Thank you. Have a nice day too." He said dryly and left.

"He's unbelievable."

"Who is?" Historia suddenly showed up out of nowhere. Why would she do that? She is gonna give me serious anxiety attacks right here.

"No one." I smirked and ignored her. I saw her shrug her shoulders and continued to work again.

I waited for Sasha to come in my workplace like she usually does. She would usually order mashed potato with gravy and an iced coffee, so I prepared those for her. I waited until 11PM but she didn't show up. I guess she is too tired from her work too.

I put my things on my bag one by one. I also brought the food I prepared for Sasha and left the cafè to Hitch and Nanaba.

While walking home, I realized I wasn't hungry. Or maybe I just don't have the appetite for it. So I went to someone who I know will eat this.

Instead of turning left to go home, I walked straight instead. It's the way to that small cottage. I think Eren would stay there. No one owns that property so I am pretty sure no one will mind if he stays there forever.

I stood in front of the door and knocked. Once, twice, several times before he finally opened it. He showed up in front of me looking like he was sleeping.

"I was sleeping." And I am right.

He is wearing a simple white shirt and black shorts. His hair is in a messy man bun. Eh, he doesn't look bad anyways.

I entered the cottage without his permission. I was shocked to see how clean it is already. I guess he rented a truck to transfer some of his things here?

The location of this cottage is beautiful. It is in a public beach where you can see the beautiful and serene scenery of the sea.

"Wow. You did this all by yourself? It looks clean. So clean. Perfection." I looked around, still in awe. While looking around, I noticed the untouched red velvet cake.

"You didn't eat." I said.

"Didn't have the appetite for it." He said and sat on the dining chair.

"I brought food for you. I thought you'll have a big appetite." I said.

"Well then you are wrong. But I guess your efforts don't have to be such a waste. Let's eat together." He stood up from his chair and pulled the chair in front of his for me. I sat there and took out the iced coffee and mashed potato.

"That is a lot of mashed potato." He said.

"Well, Sasha likes this but she didn't come tonight." I smiled fakely.

"Don't smile if it's fake." Now he is telling me that. I tell people things and can't even apply it to myself. Isn't that just unfair?

"That's my line. Create yours." I said and smirked.

He sliced the red velvet cake in half. Well not literally in half. I was about to get the smaller portion but he gave me the bigger one.

"You have plenty to eat right now. So eat a lot." He said and ate his food.

"I guess the food in my work place is not bad at all." I said.

"Why? First time?"

"Yes." I answered and continued eating. I never really buy food from my work place.

We talked and ate together. I didn't notice that we both finished eating already. It is fun talking and eating dinner with him.

"Are you going to college soon? By the way how old are you?" I asked him.

"I will study Law. My parents left me money for college. And I don't wanna waste their efforts in earning that money." He answered. "How about you?"

"I will study something that is related to business. I want to build my own business once I finish studying." I smiled.

"You can do it." He flashed a smile. A bright smile.

"Thanks. You too." I replied and sipped water from the cup.

He walked to his fridge and took out an ice cream from it. He put it on the table and gave it to me.

"What?" I asked him.

"Eat more. Come on, you have plenty to eat right now. Enjoy it." He insisted and opened the container for me.

"Okay..", I said and ate a spoonful of ice cream. He took his phone from his pocket and took a picture of himself.

"You are weird." I chuckled and just ate anyway.

When I am already full, I thanked him for the ice cream. I don't really eat ice cream but he gave me so I ate it. As he said I have plenty to eat so I just eat it.

"Thanks for tonight." I said and slightly bowed down.

"Why are you suddenly acting like I gave you a medal?" He chuckled. I rolled my eyes and chuckled with him.

"See you tomorrow." I said.

"Yeah, let's see each other tomorrow. Take care, goodnight." He smiled. I waved my hands at him before I completely left the cottage. And there is my instinct again. I know he is watching me walk away right now.

I slowly looked at the sky while walking. A tear suddenly escaped my eye. My brightest stars shining brightly to be my light in my darkest nights.

And now, they sent me another person who can be my friend.

At least, I know I am not alone...

____________________________________________________________________________

Hey there bright star, I hope whenever you flash a smile it's sincere and genuine, and not forced. Always remember you are not alone. I am here with you virtually. Please don't hurt yourself.

Sincerely,
Y.M Jaeger♡