Chapter Six

It was Sunrise and Skykit woke up to her mother grooming her silver-white pelt.

"Mom! What's the big idea?" Skykit asked sleepily.

"Did you forget? Today is your apprentice ceremony!" Lightwhisper replied, "You're going to be apprenticed with Sappirekit and Birchkit."

"Oh!" Skykit had nearly forgotten about her own ceremony, "I hope I get a good mentor!"

Sun-high

Skykit practically bounced out of the nursery as she made her way to the highrock.

"I, Stormstar, leader of StormClan, call upon the Place of Cold Waters to look upon these kits. Skykit, Sapphirekit, and Birchkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed." Stormstar started.

"Sapphirekit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Sapphirepaw. Your mentor will be Snowlily. I hope Snowlily will pass down all she knows on to you." Stormstar nodded towards Snowlily, "Snowlily, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Marigoldsong, and you have shown yourself to be kind and optimistic. You will be the mentor of Sapphirepaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to her."

"Birchkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Birchpaw. Your mentor will be Foxsong. I hope Foxsong will pass down all she knows on to you." Stormstar turned to Foxsong, "Foxsong, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Grasswhisker, and you have shown yourself to be brave and strong. You will be the mentor of Birchpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to him."

"Skykit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Skypaw. Your mentor will be me." Stormstar touched noses with the newly named Skypaw and Snowlily did the same with Sappirepaw and so did Foxsong.

Skypaw could hear gasps and murmurs among the crowd. She could hardly believe her ears!

"Stormstar!" said Eagleclaw.

"Is there a mistake?" muttered Sparrowwing.

"She must have potential!" exclaimed Treeshade.

"Hey, Skypaw." Skypaw jumped and turned around to face her sister.

"You nearly gave me a heart attack sis!" Skypaw said

"I'm sorry, I just wanted to congratulate you for acquiring such a wonderful mentor." Leafpaw replied. Skypaw sniffed at the air, she smelt pride, joy, and a twinge of jealousy lingering around Leafpaw like poisonous gas.

"Skypaw!" Stormstar called, he had already leaped of high rock, "Let us start your training."

"Coming Stormstar!" Skypaw replied as she shot one last glance at her sister before scampering off to find her mentor.