Chapter Thirteen

A few moons later...SKYSPIRIT GIVES BIRTH!!!

Skyspirit groaned as another spasm rippled over her belly. Sunstream placed a hard wooden stick in her mouth. Lilywhisker massaged her stomach. Sunpaw had recently gone to the Moonpool with Lilywhisker and earned his Medicine cat name, Sunstream. 

"Be strong," Lilywhisker said, "there are four."

Suddenly, Skyspirit bit down on the stick. A wet, slime-covered white she-cat slipped out from beneath her tail. Sunstream peeled the sac away from its body. It started to feed. Another spasm rocked her body. With a wrench, a large gray tabby tom was born. Sunstream peeled off the sac, and the tom went to join his sibling. Two more ripples went across her stomach. Skyspirit bit the stick so hard that it cracked completely in two! Two more slime-covered shapes slipped out; one after the other. 

"Congratulations, Skyspirit! Two toms and two she-cats!" Lilywhisker exclaimed.

Duskfall rushed into the nursery. He looked at all the kits. 

"Skyspirit, wow! You've fulfilled your promise!" he exclaimed. A moon ago, Skyspirit promised Duskfall four kits. 

Skyspirit laughed and said, "Okay, I might've done that by accident. But what do you think we should name them? I think the oldest white she-cat with red eyes should be named Eaglekit!"

Duskfall nodded, "The gray tabby tom with green eyes. He sort of looks like Leafshadow! So Shadekit for him? You can name the rest of 'em. " 

Skyspirit smiled and said, "That black tom with pale golden eyes should be named Tigerkit because he has those tiger-like brown stripes on his back. But...that youngest calico she-cat...with my blue eyes...I'm not exactly sure if she'll survive! However, to give her hope, I'll name her Briarkit, so she'll have the energy to defend herself."

Duskfall and Skyspirit looked down at their smallest kit. There was a sadness in their eyes...Would Briarkit survive?