Chapter Twenty-seven

Moons later...

Briarwind bit down hard on the stick Cloudwhisker had given her, she had told her new apprentice, Flowerpaw, to collect some more sticks. Actually, Briarwind knew that Cloudwhisker didn't want Flowerpaw to see birth yet... Cloudwhisker had been undergoing some severe pressure recently after the death of Tansyflower. Briarwind was still considered quite young to be having her first litter being only 30 moons old, Cloudwhisker still couldn't be sure if she would survive the pain.

A light-gray she-cat was the first to come out, Cloudwhisker pulled off the sac and it started to feed. Sweat dripped down Briarwind's head as her stick began to crack. Another she-cat followed her sister and Cloudwhisker pulled off the sac covering her white fur. Briarwind had already cracked her stick to splinters and Cloudwhisker hurried to get another. Galaxymoon licked Briarwind's head affectionately and Briarwind looked up weakly at Galaxymoon with her eyes full of tears. 

"Ugh, Galaxymoon!" Briarwind muttered, "Why must kitting your kits be so hard?"

"They're our kits, darling. And remember, we want four. Also, if our kits are hard to kit, then they're strong!" Galaxymoon teased.

Another ripple crossed Briarwind's stomach as a fiery-red tom tumbled out of her stomach, it ran over to its sibling's tripping a lot along the way. As the last black one came out, Briarwind completely forgot about her stick and screeched so loud that everybody in Skyclan heard it. Foxtail and Halfstorm covered their ears and grumbled, but Tailshadow rushed outside and followed Skystar to the nursery Those two are just so old. They don't understand how important every birth is to the Clan. Tailshadow and Skystar rushed into the nursery to find Briarwind smiling weakly as all of her four healthy kits fed.