Chapter Fourteen

Leafshadow peeked into the nursery.

"Can I come in?" she asked

" Yeah," Duskfall replied and Skyspirit gave her a slight nod. Leafshadow came inside carrying her two kits by the scruff of their necks. She sat down near Skyspirit and set her kits down.

"Congratulations Sis!" Leafshadow exclaimed. "You got four healthy kits!"

"Well, three healthy kits, one of them is a bit weak," Duskfall said.

"GALAXYKIT! YOU GET BACK HERE!" Leafshadow shouted. The older of her two kits had sneaked towards the white, sickly, calico she-cat with an interested look on his face. The young tom winced after hearing his mother and sprinted back to his mother. Leafshadow had given birth a couple of days before Skyspirit and she had two kits, one tom one she-cat. The she-cat represented Lionstrike, with tan fur and topaz eyes. Lionstrike had named her Jackalkit. The tom looked like Leafshadow, with a light gray pelt and green eyes. Leafshadow had named him Galaxykit.

"Mom." Galaxykit tugged on his mother's pelt. "Why does that one look like me?" Galaxykit pointed at Shadekit.

"Because he is your cousin," Leafshadow replied softly. 

"Sister, have you named them?" Leafshadow asked with a sudden, serious tone.

"Yes, I have," Skyspirit said. "This one here is Shadekit." Skyspirit pointed to the eldest tom that looked like Leafshadow. "He is named after you. The white she-cat is named Eaglekit, the black tom with brown stripes is named Tigerkit." She paused, "The youngest is named Briarkit."

"Nice names, Skyspirit!" Leafshadow said, "The older gray tom is named Galaxykit. The younger she-cat is named Jackalkit."

"Nice names too!" laughed Skyspirit.

"What's wrong with Briarkit, mom?" asked Jackalkit, poking at Leafshadow.

"She's sick." Skyspirit was the one who answered, "She might die."

"Oh." said Galaxykit and Jackalkit in unison.

"Hey Galaxykit," said Tigerkit, "You wanna play moss-ball with me and Shadekit?"

"Sure," Galaxykit answered, "Jackalkit'll play too."

"Also me!" shrieked Eaglekit, "I'm the best at moss-ball!"

Leafshadow quietly exited the nursery, trusting that Skyspirit was following. The two sisters walked toward the abandoned badger den. Skyspirit started to run. Leafshadow followed, and they soon came to the heap of earth. They had buried their old moss-ball there. 

Every once-in-a-while, they came and looked at the mound of dirt. It was a sentimental gesture, but Leafshadow had no idea, that one day, it would save her life.

"We should be heading back." Skyspirit's voice broke the silence, "When those kits play moss-ball, I don't trust them to not get hurt. How did StarClan think that I could handle four of them?"

Leafshadow and her sister headed slowly back to camp.

*SPOILER: If you're wondering, Skyspirit gets a prophecy that night and leaves. Leafshadow wakes up and can't find Skyspirit. Skyspirit took her kits and Duskfall with her but left Briarkit behind. Leafshadow leaves, too with Jackalpaw(Jackalkit), Galaxypaw (Galaxykit), and Briarkit to find Skyspirit.*--Cathy&Vanessa #NextChapterContents