Stand and Deliver

"Christ!  Would you look at that!"  Roger exclaimed as the Rolls pulled up in front of the entrance to Parliament.  There was a large coterie of reporters and photographers milling about. Behind them stood a crowd of onlookers. As soon as the first photographer shouted Freddie's name, the sound of cameras going off filled their heads as a security guard came up and opened the car door for them.

"Well...here we go gentlemen!"  Freddie remarked as they all shared a look of determination and Roger stepped out first.  Reporters and photographers began shouting for their attention as Roger took a few steps and waited for Brian to come out next.  The men stood together and waited for their friends.  Deacy and Freddie emerged from the back and all four stood in a row as their photographs were taken and questions shouted at them.

"Freddie!  What do you hope to accomplish today?"  a reporter asked them as they began walking with the security guards starting to form a circle around them.  

"To convince the members of Parliament that a vote in favor of this bill is the right vote! Freddie responded as they kept walking towards the secured entrance.  

"Some people think you should stick to music and stay out of politics!  What do you say to that?"  another reporter asked.  

"This isn't about politics...this is about equal rights for all couples to marry..."  Roger told them as they reached the doors.  They were glad to step inside and get a respite from the media.  They knew they would be waiting when they finished but at least the matter at hand would be over.

After going through a security check the men were escorted to a waiting room and offered coffee and tea.  Brian couldn't stop looking at Roger.  He was so handsome in his pink and white plaid suit.  You would never mistake him for a solicitor or businessman with his dark pink dress shirt and no tie.  He found Roger looking back at him as they stood around holding their cups of tea.

"What?"  Roger asked as he grinned at Brian.  The tall man grinned back.  

"You look really good..."  Brian remarked.  Roger took a step closer and beamed at him.

"Speak for yourself!"  Roger told him. "You were built to wear a suit!"  he said in a complimentary tone.  Brian looked down at his own black suit with a narrow gray pinstripe.  Roger had taken him to Saville Row for a new suit and selected a wine colored dress shirt and a dark gray tie for him.  "You are the epitome of tall, dark and handsome!"  Roger told him as Brian blushed at the compliment and fidgeted with his tie.   Roger leaned in and the men shared a quick kiss.

"He is right!"  Freddie commented as he admired Brian.  "You wear that suit well..."  Brian smiled at him and wanted to say something nice about their suits but had to stop himself from giggling.  Both were dressed in fairly traditional suits and dress shirts but Freddie wore a tie that said 'I love Deacy' and Deacy's tie said 'I Love Freddie' and had little hearts splashed about.

"You both look good too..."  Brian said in response and saw Roger turn his face so he could smirk.  The Mercury's looked at each other with affection.  The door to the room opened and an official looking man stepped inside.

"They're ready for you..."  he announced.  Freddie took Deacy's hand and they followed the man out.  Roger walked next to Brian and had his arm at Brian's back as they headed into the chamber.

The men were seated at a long table with microphones in front of them and glasses of water.  The table faced what looked like a judge's bench but it spanned the length of the room.  Several cameras were set up around the room to film the hearing.  A door opened and a group with 4 men and 2 women came in and took their seats at the bench.