I Drove All Night...

Roger tried to fight off the yawn but he hadn't slept well the night before.  He hadn't slept well at all since he got home from the island trip.  He was beginning to feel the weight of having to get focused on his own album.  Roger enjoyed the distraction of Peter Gabriel taking over his studio for several days.  But he was finished and had returned home and Roger was left sitting alone in the recording booth trying to figure out where to even begin.  Dave, his engineer, wasn't arriving until later today because of this mornings appointment with his and Brian's new agent.

Roger told Brian he needed to take a look at something in the studio and crept downstairs already dressed and ready for their appointment.  But he wasn't doing anything.  He just leaned into the stool he was perched on and stared at the piano.  Willing it to tell him where to start with his own songs.  He glanced over at his notes for this particular song and felt lost.  Roger also realized he felt doubt.  Unsure he could pull off a hit record.  Something he really needed for his career right now.  His mind couldn't help but drift back to that lousy dream about a dismal reaction to his first new single.  It was clear he wasn't going to accomplish anything and sighed wearily at the thought.

"You about ready?"  he suddenly heard in the speaker and jumped in alarm.  He turned to see Brian looking at him through the observation glass.  Roger nodded quickly and set down the unused pen on top of his notebook and stood up from the stool.  He looked down to check his appearance and began walking to the control booth. He stepped inside and found a smile for his boyfriend.

"Let's go!"  he announced.

----------------------------

"The representation you need for yourself is fairly clear to me..."  Jim stated to Roger and then looked over at Brian.  "What exactly are you wanting Mr. May?"  Jim asked Brian as he and Roger sat in his office discussing his becoming their manager/agent.

"Please call me Brian..."  Brian replied nervously.  It felt surreal to be sitting in this high end office with a leading entertainment firm.  Jim Beach was Freddie's manager and agreed to meet with them at Freddie's behest.  Jim smiled at his offer of using a less formal name.

"What can I do for you?  Brian..."  Jim amended.  Brian looked over at Roger for guidance.

"Brian is a talented photographer and already has interest from Peter Gabriel in purchasing a photo he took of him..."  Roger explained.  "He also needs representation as a musician..."  Jim nodded understanding as he listened to the blond explain what Brian needed.  

"Okay...I don't normally represent photographers but we can roll that into a contract for him as a musician..."  Jim explained.  "Are we looking at song publishing?"  Jim questioned.  Roger wondered if they should bother.  Based on what he saw of Brian's efforts it didn't seem a possibility.  He wanted to spare his boyfriends feelings and also considered that Brian might contribute to his own songs with the music part or the occasional lyric and he would gladly give him credit for it.  Roger smiled.

"Yes...we should include that as well..."  Roger answered.  He found Brian looking a little excited and proud as he spoke.  Jim raised his eyebrows and jotted some notes on his legal pad.  

"So Brian....what do you play?  Do you sing?"  Jim asked with curiosity.  Brian felt embarrassed having to talk about his talents.  His face was a bit pink as he answered.

"I play guitar and some piano...and I can sing..."  he replied as Roger looked on with his own sense of pride in his boyfriend.  Jim nodded as he made notes.  He then looked up at him.

"Have you ever had any songs published before or has anyone performed them besides yourself?"  Jim questioned.   Brian shook his head and made a sound of disbelief.