Falling Out Of Love With Astoria Greengrass || Draco Malfoy

this is written by babydraco04 / babyDraco04   on Tumblr

Pairing: Draco Malfoy x slytherin!reader (but it's not mentioned frequently so you can ignore it)
Warnings: Allusions to sex, some angst, mentions of death, if there's anything else please let me know :)
Summary: Throughout the Hogwarts years from Astoria's POV we watch Draco fall out of love with her, and into love with Y/N.

WORDS : 6251

The Greengrass and Malfoy families had held each other in a high regard for quite sometime. When it so happened that the Malfoy's had a son near in age to the Greengrass daughters, it was almost too perfect an opportunity to pass up and both families decided that to keep their families pure, wealthy and powerful, one of the Greengrass daughters would marry Draco when they all came of age.

So soon playdates were being arranged and the Greengrass daughters had become best friends with the Malfoy son. For a while, it looked like Astoria was the sister that he was going to marry, like she'd stolen the Slytherin Prince's heart. They both liked each other enough, it was a perfect union really.

But then you happened.

It was all going well, perfect even, until Year 1 at Hogwarts began and yousnuck your way into everyone's lives. Draco, Blaise, Daphne and Astoria had grown up together, you were the outsider. It shouldn't have happened really, it was most unbelievable to Draco himself, but on the first day of school he bumped into you before the sorting ceremony and you flashed him a smile that had his insides bubbling with warmth- not love, definitely not, but an odd sense of comfort. Before long you, Draco, Blaise and Daphne all got sorted into Slytherin and the oddest of crews was formed; three wealthy purebloods and their half-blood best friend - but you were powerful quartet and you only grew in power when Astoria joined Hogwarts the next year.

~~~

She should've known, from the day that she met you, that she'd never be enough in comparison to you- not for her sister, not for her friends, and definitely not for Draco Malfoy. How could she be when your laugh made everyone else laugh too, when your smile brightened up everyone's day even her own, when your hugs were a refuge from the terrible reality that consumed the Hogwarts grounds every year, when you were the only true friend that most people ever had in their lives.

In another world, Astoria would've been the one that Draco fell in love with, not you. In another world, a perfect world perhaps, your dorky snort wouldn't have even made it into any of their lives. Your touch wouldn't linger on their souls like a wolf's imprint and your voice wouldn't snake its way into their most euphoric dreams. And perhaps in another reality, one in which the universe didn't hate Astoria, you didn't exist at all.

But in this reality, you are real, very real indeed.

She isn't in love with him. No. She can't be.

But that doesn't change the fact that Draco's arranged to marry her not you. He's meant to marry the beautiful, wealthy, pureblood with as much social status as his own, not the half-blood from Hogwarts whose father had to work for his social status. Everyone knows Mr L/N, it's hard not to know the trailblazing wizard who succeeded against all odds then lost his wife to a muggle disease, but that doesn't mean everyone respects him in the same manner that they do Lucius Malfoy.

It's absurd, you're too different. You're too different from the rest of them, it doesn't make sense that he fell in love with you.

~~~