Chapter 9: Personal

The previous night, after Holly's bruised leg was checked over, she and Wisteria returned with Aiko to her studio. Windows looked out at Phenac Stadium's walls of cascading water. It lit up in every colour of the rainbow at night. Aiko shut her thick Team Magma-print curtains.

'It's pretty, sure, but the colours keep changing! It keeps me awake. Amethyst should have it switch off after midnight...'

Michael's daughter Amethyst took over Phenac Gym from Justy. It was now a Water-type Gym.

Wisteria stared incredulously at the wall running from the door to the windows. Holly wasn't exaggerating when she said there was a whole block, covered from top to bottom, in photos of Yan.

'Girl! That's kinda stalker-y!'

'How is it any different to your posters of that Pyramid King guy? Whatever his name is...'

'He's a Frontier Brain! A celebrity! Yan is just your boss!'

A well-loved Numel plush rolled off the bed when Aiko flopped down to pull off her boots. The sheets were decorated with Orre's Gym Badges. At least the photos above the bed were of Aiko with her parents, Kazuki and the band, except a Team Magma group shot that included Yan. The cacti on a shelf balanced over the headboard looked a little neglected. Swampert climbed onto the bed to water them.

'So,' Holly said, 'Who's this GoD? Any guesses?'

'Yan,' Wisteria joked, 'I'm kidding! Don't kill me, Aiko!'

'How tall is he?'

'He – what?!' Aiko stuttered, 'He's 6'0", but... of course it's not Yan! Why would it be Yan? He's 6,246 miles away!'

Wisteria's smile faded. 'Seriously... what if he's making Kazuki do it?'

'What? Kazuki? Why?'

'He should've been at the lab, but he wasn't. And then he showed up to help, long enough after GoD left to shower, get changed and come back.'

'Kazuki's not stupid. He's not obsessed with Yan like I am. He wouldn't just do what he says. And why would Yan want to cause trouble in Orre?!'

'Easier to take over than Hoenn?'

'But Team Magma's goal has never been world domination! Or any kind of domination! It's always been about the future of humanity! And now it's about the future of Pokémon, too. I would know. I run Team Magma here!'

'Your dad did try to pull a Maxie with the Robo Groudon. What if Yan's after something like that?'

'No. Wisteria, that's ridiculous. He could use me if he wanted something from Orre. He doesn't know I love him, but he knows I'm competent and loyal.'

The landline rang. It was probably a telemarketer. Holly picked up the red polka dot receiver.

'Hello?'

'May I speak to Miss Massey?'

'Who is it?'

'My name is Dr. Xiong. I am Miss Massey's boss.'

Aiko grabbed the phone before Holly could react.

'Leader Yan, sir!'

There was a pause. Yan was probably checking the time in Orre.

'Good evening, Aiko. I have just been alerted to the crisis in Phenac City. I wanted to commend you for your bravery and leadership of that team of Grunts, but are you alright? None of you are hurt at all?'

Aiko was frozen. This was clearly unusual.

'N-no, Leader Yan... I'm fine... absolutely fine... as – as are my colleagues. You... don't mind that I left work? And involved Team Magma? Then?'