Chapter 88: The Secret

Orvil met his colleagues at the International Police office in Gateon Port. Emma was quiet. She said Pierre could take a day off, now he finished sending all the data from the lab to HQ, but he refused.

'You OK, Chief?' Orvil asked, 'You look like your day's been as weird as mine...'

'It hasn't been weird, exactly. I just... found a video of Jamie singing a love song to Raidne. It surprised me because Camden said he doesn't have any patience for anything he can't instantly master, like musical instruments... and I thought it was Lavender he loved, since he won't say a word about her, but I think it's guilt. Even if he did love her, but realised since she died that she treated him badly, he'll feel guilty that he learned that from her death... and everything seems disrespectful when someone's died.'

'Oh, jeez... I can't blame him for being confused. But I'd feel guilty if I was him.'

'How was your interview with Blue?'

'Well, I must be one of the only people who's ever seen Blue cry. But he said what we thought he'd say – that Lavender was probably bitter she was invisible in his life, even though he supposedly adored her.'

'Understandable. But I also understand why he kept her invisible. He didn't want her to go through the kind of shit Jamie went through as a kid. Did you get an answer about "the thing?"'

'He said it was a Celebi Egg. Which is totally feasible, right?'

Zileh nodded. 'Yeah. Celebi left an Egg for Seth because it probably foresaw this shit. It might've left an Egg for Jamie to save the Celebi he was going to capture, but... I feel like things didn't turn out like Celebi, or Fateen, or Wyatt or whoever might've expected them to.'

'Oh?'

Emma didn't know who Fateen was. 'Sorry. I'm kind of clueless about Orrean history...'

'Oh, you would be. We're rarely in the news. But I've been thinking, years ago, on my Gym Challenge... we went to Fateen, a fortune teller who helped Wes and Michael on their adventures, to ask about Fire Agate Addison, AKA Chalcedony. Fateen said she foresaw something so awful, the sight might've ended her if she looked into her crystal ball – but she also talked about "tipping scales." The awful thing didn't happen then. We beat Cipher. It hasn't happened now. So maybe the future isn't scripted and even when psychics see it, it can still change. And I don't think anyone foresaw Jamie's conscience, which is probably a testament to how well he hid it all. Sorry. I'm rambling.'

'No, no, it's interesting. From scanning Jamie's reports and talking to Kazuki, I understand that it's only possible to travel to the future if the traveller is coming from the past. That would support what you're saying, Zileh. Nothing is certain until it happens.'

'Yeah. What were you gonna say, Orvil?'

'Oh. He said they asked him to keep Celebi safe, but it has a mind of its own and runs off all the time, always coming back eventually. There was nothing in his eyes, tone or body language to suggest he was lying, but...'

'You just know he was?'

'Yeah. I mean, I have no proof whatsoever. Like I said, there was no indication he was bluffing and I don't think Blue is some great actor.'

'I've only met him briefly,' Emma mused, 'But that whole image is bluster, isn't it? He's actually a self-conscious loner.'

'Yeah,' Pierre agreed, 'He seems smooth, but I met him at a bar in Wyndon once and he was just weird. He was rambling about Pokémon – how there are different shapes, colours and sizes, but they're all Pokémon and it's strange. Then he showed me photos of his kids – the boys, obviously – and said there are all kinds of different people, too.'