Chapter 52: Pretentious

Laila's Charizard landed at the foot of a glass tower in downtown Nascott City. Jamie's new apartment was on the 17th floor. It was surrounded by office blocks. His old place was opposite a hotel, which allowed fans and paparazzi to peer in, but unless the workers in their smart suits were creeps, that couldn't happen here... though Laila wasn't entirely sure about that. There were Prestige offices in the neighbouring block.

The polished glass doors slid open for Laila's spare key fob. Brown carpets reached across the marble tiles to the elevator and stairs. The lobby smelled of detergent. A painting of Willie and Wes at the Outskirt Stand hung over the reception desk, where a suited security guard in black sunglasses chatted to a delivery driver.

Asterid's Bewear stepped out of the elevator to pick up the last box. Her Lopunny followed. It grabbed a TV and bag of Pokémon food. All that was left was a potted cactus. Laila carried it into the elevator to squash in beside Bewear. It was warm and fluffy.

The door was propped open by a fake diamond paperweight. That once belonged to Lavender. Her mom, Magenta, looked like a lost child as she picked her belongings from a box. Her hands trembled. Before any of the clothes or trinkets reached the bag for her to take home, she put them back in the box, only to pick them out again. Laila tried to smile.

'Hey.'

'Oh, hi, Laila... are any of these clothes of any use to you? I don't really know what to do with them...'

'I'm sure I can recycle some. I can at least make sure they go to a good home.'

'That's probably for the best... I want to keep them, just because they were Lavender's, but... they'll just sit in the bag forever. I doubt I'll even look at them.'

Was there ever a good moment to ask if she wanted the Pokémon? Laila had no idea.

'I hope it's not too soon to ask, but... I've just collected Lavender's Pokémon.'

'Oh... I'd love to keep them, too, but... Dad's already got the Poison-types. I can hardly take care of myself right now, let alone my Pokémon...'

'It's totally understandable. They'll understand.'

'It just... feels like abandoning her, you know? Or giving up on her... even though there's nothing to give up on now she's gone.'

'For what it's worth, I think the loving thing to do is to make sure the Pokémon are safe and happy. And I'm sure that's what Lavender would have wanted.'

'...Can I ask you a question, Laila?'

'Sure.'

'I can't help seeing all those headlines, which are absolutely disgusting, but... was Lavender really a bully?'

'She was only ever lovely to me. To be honest, I think the Gym Challengers who complained about her and Jamie were jealous.'

'That's reassuring... thanks. It doesn't change a thing for me if she was, because she was my kid and I know she had a good heart. But... all those claims seemed so far-fetched, it made me feel like I didn't know my own daughter. And then I wondered if I was a bad mom.'

'I don't think you'd be questioning yourself like that if you were a bad mom. Truly bad people never question themselves.'

'That's true. Thanks, Laila. I'd better let you put that cactus down.'

Laila placed the cactus by the door. Asterid waved. She and Laila's Haxorus wrestled to keep half of a bookcase upright. Unlike the old apartment, this one wasn't already furnished. They spent the past few days transferring boxes and hammering furniture together. It seemed a bizarre thing to do in the midst of a Cipher revival, but putting everything on hold was like giving up. Continuing sent the message that they expected life to go on.