Chapter 98: Trainer Vs. World Champion

Tatsuko ushered the Trainers into the street. Wisteria wasn't even slightly daunted by Toru's fame or arrogance. She slapped her Poké Balls together with blazing confidence and enthusiasm that was enough to intimidate most opponents, but like her, Toru wasn't afraid of anything in battle. Holly was admittedly swooning when he sent out Charizard and Tyranitar. She saw one of his World Championships matches in Galar, years ago, but it was the first time she'd seen him battle up close.

'Ga'an, Sylveon and Galvantula!'

Toru didn't hesitate to hold up his Z-Ring for Charizard to Mega Evolve into Mega Charizard Y. Its Drought Ability summoned sunlight that seemed to flood the whole cavern. Holly stifled her squeal, but Aiko didn't bother.

'My old man is way better than yours, but Toru is still cute!'

'Someone call Whitby!'

Wisteria was too focused to yell that she didn't want a 'Falinks Fanny' anymore. Galvantula moved faster than Charizard. She watched Toru, but he didn't seem surprised.

Darn. I hoped he'd underestimated me.

Thunderbolt struck Charizard down. Fayiz cheered.

'Ga'an, Wisteria!'

Charizard roared Flamethrower back at Galvantula. It curled up to roll and put out its flaming fur. A Focus Sash was tied to its leg. That was what kept it conscious. Tyranitar's strong legs pummelled the floor. It violently shook. A crowd of relatives and curious neighbours began to gather. As The Under grew, it gained a few residents who didn't like Pokémon at all, let alone battling, but generally retained its Pokémon-centric culture. Most people loved to see battles. Several of the neighbours were Wyatt's Gym Trainers.

Galvantula fainted. Sylveon was knocked off its feet. It sprang back up to fire an almighty Hyper Beam. The Pixilate Ability converted the Normal-type move to a dazzling Fairy-type attack. Rock cracked as it consumed Tyranitar. The sturdy Pokémon fell to its knees. Now, Toru did look a little shocked.

'That was... extreme.'

'Gotta do what I gotta do! Nice one, Sylveon!'

Sylveon was exhausted. Wisteria was still grinning when she sent out Mismagius. Holly was still swooning when Toru threw Sceptile's Poké Ball. Cornelia nudged her.

'What's with the way he stands? He looks like he's hungover and having back pain. I'd never noticed that before... it's kind of a turn-off.'

Abbey smirked. 'It's hereditary, apparently. Don't have kids with him, Holly, or they'll all stand like that and "smell ya later."'

'Be quiet! Both of you!'

Sceptile moved first. It hurled Energy Ball at Mismagius. Wisteria expected Charizard to knock Sylveon out while it was recharging from Hyper Beam, but Toru knew it was slower than his Pokémon. They could finish it off on the next turn. Usually, Mismagius would have moved faster than Charizard, but it was Toru's first Pokémon. Its Flamethrower fuelled by the sunlight knocked Mismagius out.

'Heh heh! You're unprepared.'

'In your dreams! Ga'an, Cinderace!'

Abbey cheered for Cinderace. Leon cheered for Charizard. Before Cinderace's Pyro Ball hit Sceptile, it was returned and replaced by Blastoise. The flames fizzled around its damp shell. Sylveon's feelers and white fur were scorched by Flamethrower. It fainted. Abbey glanced at Leon.

'Are you the referee? Of course you are. What's the score?'

'I wasn't, but... 3-1 to Toru. And she's going to have to switch that Cinderace out if she doesn't want a lethal dose of Hydro Pump.'

'No! She needs to activate Libero with Iron Head or whatever else her Cinderace knows. Hydro Pump is dodgy, anyway, especially with a footie player like Cinderace.'

Wisteria sent out Altaria. She held up her Mega Bracelet. Light cloaked Altaria. Its amplified cry reverberated as it became Mega Altaria. Wisteria's thoughts apparently matched Leon's. Cinderace whacked Blastoise with U-turn and returned to switch with Snorlax.

Toru looked like he was distantly smirking at his anticipated win, but he was actually watching Wisteria's eyes closely. That was something that could only be learned through years of experience. He predicted that Cinderace would switch out. Blastoise used Shell Smash to heighten its power and speed, at the cost of lowering its defense, instead of attacking. Its White Herb immediately restored its lowered stats.

Charizard's Dragon Pulse seared through Altaria's fluffy wings. Sparkling cotton covered the spectators. The same attack shot back at Charizard, its sheer force slashing open its leg and tail. It hit the floor with a thud. That was the first time Toru lost his smirk. He looked concerned about Charizard's wounds when he returned it.

'You spoke too soon, Kanto boy!'

Toru didn't reply. He sent out Pidgeot with his regained composure intact. Blastoise fired Ice Beam at Altaria. A chunk of one of its wings was sheared off. Blood rained down with the falling cotton.

Wisteria's eyes were on Toru's Z-Ring. He clearly had a Z-Move to use. She wasn't sure when he would, but she got her answer then. At least he didn't see Holly and Aiko silently squealing at each other as light cloaked Pidgeot with the flawless dance to prepare its Z-Move, Supersonic Skystrike. Pidgeot hurtled down at Snorlax with such force that it left a dusty indent on the tarmac. Snorlax was left battered and bleeding. Silence fell. Then Snorlax struggled back up. Fayiz clapped.

'That's it! You show 'im!'

Altaria knew Ice Beam, too. It shot at Pidgeot. Brown feathers fluttered down. Pidgeot fell to the floor, writhing in pain. It rose only to be knocked out by Snorlax's powerful Return. Now they were 3-3. Toru sent out Toxtricity.

Toxtricity used Protect. Blastoise's next Ice Beam knocked Altaria down. It made no sound as it hit the floor. Its fluffy wings cushioned its landing.

Leon squinted at Altaria. 'Doesn't look good...'

Altaria was indeed unconscious. Snorlax's Earthquake might have one-hit KO'd Toxtricity, but Protect swallowed it. It barely scratched Blastoise. Wisteria sent out Cinderace. She yelled at it to get ready to dodge Hydro Pump, but it was Snorlax who was brutally blasted by the ferocious barrage of water. Blastoise was battered in turn by Cinderace's Gunk Shot. Then Toxtricity unleashed a deafening Overdrive. Snorlax fainted.

'Wisteria!' Fayiz yelled, 'Come on! You can do it!'

Cinderace leapt over Hydro Pump to avoid it. It soaked Fayiz instead. Aiko cackled along with Toru. Gunk Shot splattered Blastoise in a critical hit. It unexpectedly fainted. Cinderace was paralysed and almost overcome by the next Overdrive. Toru sent out Sceptile. It used Protect. Pyro Ball hit the barrier.

Everyone covered their ears. Overdrive was noisy, but Boomburst was known to cause lasting damage. Holly was used to it. It was only as bad as Noivern's supersonic waves. Toru apparently was, too, because he didn't even flinch as the brutal blast of sound knocked Cinderace into Wisteria's arms. It was still.

Abbey was the only person who asked Leon to be referee. He stepped in to check on Cinderace regardless.

'Cinderace is unable to battle. Toru wins.'

There was a mixed chorus of applause and disappointment. Wisteria looked down.

'Darn...'

'Thank you, thank you! This is what I, Kanto's greatest Trainer, can really do!'

Fayiz shook his head. 'Smug bastard. He made some lucky predictions. You almost had him.'

'Shut up, Fayiz,' Wisteria grumbled, 'I'm not here to fuel your old man rivalry.'

She turned to leave. Toru called after her. She glanced back only to point. Her eyes burned with something much more terrifying than her Pokémon.

'You... I won't forget... ever. Hopefully you didn't use up all your luck in that battle... because next time... I'll decapitate you.'