Chapter 25: Unfair

Aiko fell asleep at the bedside of the man whose severed hand was reattached. She couldn't help Elijah, but she could support anyone else who needed it. When she stirred, Yan was the other side. The young Grunt managed a smile. He was still dazed from the anaesthetic.

'I get a whole year of paid vacation from the Leader himself! This isn't so bad.'

'You must still listen to my edifying speeches.'

Yan sounded utterly serious, but he winked. That was the first time Aiko smiled since they landed at the resort.

'Will you be able to use your hand again...?'

'It won't function like it used to. But, I mean... I never realised... how much I actually value my life until...'

'Yes... I understand.'

Aiko followed Yan out while their colleague ate his breakfast. They took seats in a waiting room. She never knew Yan could sound so gentle.

'Aiko. All evidence on Elijah's body has been preserved. He has been moved to a funeral home. The family are currently making preparations.'

'His wife... their baby... is due in a month...'

'Please know they do not blame you or even me. I have spoken with them. They blame Cipher. I didn't have the pleasure of knowing Elijah well, but I have no doubt his relatives are sincere when they say he spoke highly of you and Courtney. He did not dread going to work... like some of my Grunts do. He loved his job.'

'Why would your Grunts dread coming to work?'

'I spend my life in a cave, obsessing over how to best preserve Maxie's memory... but venturing out to a city like Mauville, let alone coming here to Orre, is like a Wake-Up Slap. Perhaps it is time we retire the daily edifying speech and, even, other traditions that serve no practical purpose...'

'No! Leader Yan, I love your edifying speeches!'

'There is no need to be so polite, Aiko. I know they are mind-bendingly boring.'

'I mean it!'

'Then you must be the only one. They bore even Cypress. I avoid such changes because Maxie must turn in his grave at the mere thought of me shaking up Team Magma so... but I have come to believe that the best way to respect his memory is, indeed, to evolve in accordance with the times and what is best for the organisation. And I believe that if Maxie was still alive, he would come to accept that in time.'

'I agree. My mom has always said his willingness to accept his flaws and change was the true driving force behind Team Magma. Not intelligence or even loyalty. The ability to change according to what's best for the world.'

'Indeed. As he would probably come to accept that I am not, actually, a carbon copy of anyone... I am my very flawed self. But that does not prevent me being a different, but equally efficient leader, just as I don't believe flaws should prevent anyone from working and succeeding in Team Magma. Sorry... I'm rambling.'

Yan smiled. 'The truth is, I have not shared these thoughts with anyone else.'

'Then I'm honoured to be the first to hear of them, Leader Yan. And I will be honoured to continue to serve you, whatever you decide. I trust your judgement. That's what got us out of that mess without more casualities.'

'Well, thank you, Aiko. I suppose, as my best-performing Admin, I am asking for your opinion. I may be the most academically experienced member of Team Magma, but it is clear that you have more real life experience.'

A door creaked. Camden stepped out of Jamie's hospital room. Laila sprang from her seat on the other side of the waiting room to stand in his path, but he skirted around her. Amber, Trip and Tahirah didn't even try. They knew it was hopeless.