Chapter 58: One Down

The Under was never entirely dark or silent. Most supermarkets, bars and Poké Marts were open 24/7 because of the amount of commuters who didn't mind working night shifts elsewhere, since there was no day or night in their home.

Police were always patrolling. There were more than usual now. Each officer carried a comprehensive blacklist of faces associated with Cipher. They were also on the lookout for coloured scarves, grey helmets and masquerade ball masks. Wyatt's Gym Trainers guarded each elevator. There was no way any known member of Cipher, masked or not, could simply waltz in.

A winged silhouette, rimmed by moonlight, landed in the desert outside. It made no sound. The Gym Trainers still glanced up. They were Psychic-type specialists. Even those who couldn't see Shadow Pokémon auras felt them.

Ryland and Brynlee hopped off her Shadow Zapdos. A long time ago, the legendary bird was captured by Greevil, along with Articuno and Moltres. Michael snagged and purified them all. Moltres was still in his team. The other two remained either in the care of Michael, when he had time, or those he trusted with them; until the previous year, when Jovi began to release her Ice-type Pokémon and Michael decided it was safe for the birds to be as free as they desired once again.

They were immediately captured by GoD. He gave Articuno to Ryland and Zapdos to Piruzi who, only two days ago, managed to clone it. Now there were two. Brynlee took one. Pirzui kept the original, which was significantly calmer, even as a Shadow Pokémon. That didn't bother Brynlee. She never had trouble controlling any Pokémon. They were terrified of her.

Most members of Cipher were terrified of Brynlee, too. Even Ryland was. As long as he was in her sight, he couldn't oust GoD, because Brynlee admired him. She wanted Cipher to rule the world, but she didn't necessarily want to be Grand Master herself. All she needed was a competent leader who valued her. That was GoD, or at least it was until recently. It was clear that he was doubting himself and Cipher as a whole.

Brynlee wasn't oblivious. Ryland knew she must have noticed. She still didn't doubt GoD. When he glanced over at her, she smirked. She knew he was wondering.

'Everyone has one weakness.'

'I'd say he has several...'

'His family. I'd call that one. And you have one big, fat weakness, Ryland. Reira Mesquite Fayed. Like, ew. She's a cop. You should've just killed her.'

There was no point in denying that. 'That's why it's a weakness... and I guess it's why GoD wants to stop feeling. It's inconvenient... but you can't talk. You have no weakness. You're actually a psychopath.'

'All you have to do is change the way you see it, sweetie. I do feel. I loved Phineas. He was so very cute. His ring was just lovely. I would've married him, if only he hadn't tried to snitch. But it's OK. I still have his lovely face.'

Brynlee couldn't be charged with the murder of her fiancé, Phineas, a Gym Leader from a neighbouring region. The body was never found. There wasn't a single shred of evidence in any of the places he was last seen. When Brynlee was jailed for other crimes, she hid her souvenirs from her victims in 16 year-old Ryland's trailer. No-one knew they were related then. The souvenirs were usually locks of hair or treasured possessions, but she kept Phineas' head. It was in her apartment in Obsidian City now.

'Anyway. We should get going, before old Ardie gets up in our faces.'

Ardos closely monitored them by radio, their bodycams and The Under's CCTV from his office. He wanted to remark that he heard that, but he wasn't sure if their radios were on full volume. They couldn't risk anyone hearing his voice. He warned his fellow Admins by text that the Gym Trainers sensed their presence.