Chapter 91: Answer

Everyone was still asleep when Holly got home. The house was dark. No matter how quiet she was, a light always flickered on upstairs as she locked the door behind her. Wyatt was a light sleeper. Holly waved. She knew her dad would trudge downstairs to ask how her shift was, even more so since people started to harass her about Jamie. His Gallade switched the coffee machine on without touching it.

'Well... I met Toru Oak.'

'Really?!'

'And left him and his rambunctious son asleep under a blanket. He's probably being wheeled off to a museum right now.'

'What was he doing on The Under Subway?'

'His kid loves trains, apparently.'

Wyatt winked. 'Did he live up to your posters in person?'

'Uh...'

'Even better looking, eh?'

'I mean... the weird thing is... we exchanged numbers.'

'You what?!'

Wyatt's smile faded. 'How old is he? Isn't he a massive player? Who only bangs married women?'

'He's 41. I don't know if he's exactly a player. He just can't commit.'

'So what's he doing chatting up my daughter?'

'It was to arrange a battle for his kid and Amaryllis.'

'Sure it was. I think I should have a word with Blue-'

'Dad! No! Don't! I haven't even decided whether to answer his calls yet. When he escapes the museum, that is.'

'Be careful, Holly.'

'I will, I will! Night. I'm wiped out.'

Cinderace and Garvedoir were asleep on the couches. Wyatt took the rest of Holly's Pokémon to feed them, but Leafeon trotted after her up the stairs. Another light was on. Idir was crying. Camden quietly sang him back to sleep.

Holly's room, like most of the house, was painted black. The furniture and curtains were black. Even her Pokémon's baskets were black. Only the pillows and photo frames were silver. The light strips above the desk did glow pink, but Holly rarely switched them on. It wasn't just that she loved black. The vibrant light flooding in from The Under's neon signs, if she opened the curtains, was plenty of colour for her.

Everything, even the clothes in the laundry basket, was carefully arranged. It was the opposite of Cornelia's room, which was messy and colourful. Holly's ex thought it looked like a funeral parlour. When they broke up, he complained that it was as stiff and cold as she was, but she didn't think so. The photos above the desk were full of love.

She hung her uniform on her desk chair to change into her nightgown which was, of course, also black. Her feet were sore. She was exhausted, but she knew as soon as her face touched the pillow that she wouldn't sleep. This was a problem long before Toru appeared on the subway... although that didn't help.

Honestly... who chats up the conductor like that? There's no way I'm the only one he's done it to. Maybe he only dates married women, but sleeps with whoever else. I think I'll ignore him. He is one good-looking dude, though...

There was no point in tossing and turning. Holly blasted herself with a cold shower and put on regular clothes go for a walk.

'Holly!' Wyatt called, 'You're not going to meet him already, are you?'

'No! I'm going for a walk!'

It wasn't unusual for Holly to wander out when she couldn't sleep. Her Pokémon followed her. The Under did stay alive all night, because of the amount of night shift workers, but it wasn't until dawn that the subway stations and elevators were crowded with commuters. Students with sports commitments began to join them. That was Holly's favourite time of day. She enjoyed being an anonymous face in rushing crowds, the region's pulse, focused on arriving in time; though Holly herself was rarely in a rush. She always left home in plenty of time.