Chapter 1: Déjà Vu

In the heart of the Phenac Desert was a lonely gas station. Crates and wagon wheels circled the recycled train engine and rusty gas pumps. Inside, where the endless whir of turning wheels was strangely comforting, the faint smell of stale smoke mingled with pre-cooked food. Harmonica music floated from a flashing jukebox. Plates and glasses clinked.

'Can I get you anything else, Champion?'

The only customer, a tall young man with purple curls and golden eyes, looked up. His Samurott snoozed on the rusty steel floor. The TV never stopped pumping out stories about the same celebrated actor and singer.

'Camden Fayed took home eight awards last night, including Best Actor for the fifth year running. He and pregnant wife Lyric left the afterparty early to "get some rest," but the win was celebrated in style when they returned to the Selenite Resort by private jet. Fans didn't miss them at the airport, though – over 100 waited outside the resort.'

Camden's last name was actually Hawthorn Fayed Joyner-Massey, but everyone called him Camden Fayed

Camden's last name was actually Hawthorn Fayed Joyner-Massey, but everyone called him Camden Fayed. The young Champion shared the bartender's weary smile.

 The young Champion shared the bartender's weary smile

'No, thanks.'

'That big brother of yours sure is popular.'

The wooden ramp leading up to the Outskirt Stand creaked. Footsteps thudded. A leather jacket was whipped off.

'Yo, Burl! And Jamie!'

A woman with messy pink hair plopped onto the faded leather couch opposite Jamie. Her name was Asterid. She took over Nascott City's Normal-type Gym from her grandpa, Willie, when he retired.

'Did y'all feel that? It's kinda creepy. Actually, I'm not even scared of admitting it. It's really creepy.'

She shuddered. The news moved on from Camden.

'After almost two months free of the unexplained déjà vu phenomenon, thousands of people across Orre once again reported bright flashes accompanied by this intense feeling. This led to two collisions on Highway 1 and a fatal pile-up on Highway 2.'

'Shit.'

Jamie picked up his jacket. As Champion, it was his duty to at least try to help, even if there was nothing he could really do.

'You gonna be OK? Want me to come with you?'

'I'll be fine. But thanks.'

Dust billowed around his feet as he stepped out to release his Swoobat. It was over three feet smaller than Jamie, but didn't even wince when it took off with him clinging to its tail. Asterid smiled.

'No wonder he's Champion. That thing has to be insanely strong. So does he! I'll stick with my bike, man.'

Burl, the bartender, quietly polished the plate in his hand. It wasn't until Jamie was long out of earshot and view, landing at the scene of the pile-up, that he spoke.

'It is damn creepy... and it's whenever his brother's back in town.'