Chapter 103: The Trial

It was still dark when an armoured car arrived at Abbey and Leon's house. The officers taking Jamie to the Supreme Court in Phenac City were early. His family barely had time to say goodbye. They knew they would follow, probably arriving before him if they flew, but Amber felt like he was being dragged away forever. He didn't resist. The officers still handled him as if he was brandishing a knife. His face was as blank as ever. Both Amber and Trip knew that no matter how well he hid it, he was frightened.

Waiting in the car was the lawyer hired by Alfie, Harper Hutnik. She was notorious for keeping equally notorious celebrities out of jail, but had never represented the boss of a criminal syndicate. That didn't intimidate her. It was a challenge.

They spoke over the phone. This was their first meeting. Harper's dark eyes sparkled when she shook Jamie's hand. She knew he wasn't interested in casual chatter, so she launched right in.

'So, Jamie. What are you going to do once you're free?'

'I sure hope that arrogance isn't misplaced.'

'Never has been before. I've already spoken to the Orre League, as you know. Unless you resign or you're in jail by May – which ain't gonna happen on my watch – you're still the Champion.'

'That's not even fair. I made Shadow Pokémon.'

'You're also a survivor responsible for the survival of several others. But that's not really the problem, is it? You think you're not good enough to be the Orre League Champion.'

Jamie's silence didn't deter Harper. 'Well, you beat Wisteria Mesquite Fayed. She almost beat four-times World Champion Toru Oak. There's no question – you would've beaten him.'

Laila told Jamie about the battle. He hadn't thought of it that way, but maybe Toru wasn't really that good?

'No matter how hard you train, when you're battling at your level, it all comes down to luck. And you've had a lot of bad luck. In every part of your life. But I mean, when you were fresh off the Gym Challenge, you flattened Lyric Robel. She's beaten crazy-strong Trainers like Anabel and Michael. You don't give yourself enough credit.'

Harper wasn't being kind. She needed her client to want to be free. If he firmly believed he deserved whatever he got, it wouldn't help her. Jamie knew that. Still, what she was saying was true. It was also true that the day he helped Emma, they specifically needed him, the Champion who was also GoD. Zane or Lyric couldn't have done what he did. There was no doubt that in the future, an ally who was once Grand Master of Cipher, who built an underground city and successfully robbed a bank, could offer invaluable aid that heroes could not.

Several people suggested a career as an International Police officer. His criminal record aside, Jamie wasn't interested in flying all over the world to solve mysteries. After all he went through to protect himself and others like him, however, he did feel a desire to continue doing that; to ensure Cipher couldn't rise again or, if he couldn't stop them, to at least fight them.

But that's also the Champion's job... and the role I chose when I disbanded Cipher.

Thinking about life after the trial seemed strange and presumptious. It wasn't unlikely that there would be no life, or at least not beyond the barbed wire and treacherous cliffs of Gatas Prison. The Orre League did write to Jamie, offering to meet with him, but he refused. He hadn't even thought about his title, really. He never truly considered himself a real champion, because he knew what else he was.

Why did he do the Gym Challenge? It wasn't for Cipher. It wasn't just to put himself in charge. He knew, from everything he failed to accomplish, that he couldn't stand anything he got no satisfaction from.

Harper wasn't being kind, but her words weren't bluster, either. If she was even slightly worried that Jamie was going to jail for life, she would have focused on shortening the sentence, not insisting he would be free and trying to encourage him to believe that, too, by asking what he wanted to do. Her indirect cajoling worked. Jamie hadn't thought about a brighter future, now or when he first defeated Lyric, because he had been in the dark for so long that he thought the best thing he could ever do was to simply keep himself safe.

But if I'm no longer being chased by Cipher...

If I'm not running anymore...

Don't I enjoy Pokémon battles?

Whatever I do, I will feel seen.

Not just because I ruined my life. Because this was already my life.

I might not like it, but I can't get away from it. All I can do is learn to cope.

What if I learned from those losses?

What if I can be the Trainer my Pokémon deserve?

He thought of Naaji's smile. The plushie and Raidne's crown beside his bed. Even Lavender's smile, for the few triumphant seconds their lives seemed normal, when Jamie defeated Lyric atop Citadark Isle. He thought of his parents' bottomless love that Laila inherited, of Camden's apology despite knowing Jamie was GoD and even Horace's friendship, that was unexpectedly above his crooked ways.

If the jury believes I deserve that... I have to believe it.

Barriers flanked the street leading to the court. It was still dark, but journalists were already gathering when Charizard delivered Amber and Trip. Her parents and Fayiz followed. Lyndon and Alfie waited inside. It wasn't long until Laila and Raidne joined them.

Naaji and Tahirah stayed at Wyatt and Chalcedony's house. Tahirah didn't mind. She distracted herself by looking at houses and wedding dresses with Holly.

The sunrise brought little warmth. A break from the suffocating desert heat was refreshing, but Amber felt like she couldn't breathe. She sat in the Supreme Court once before. Her memory of the courtroom, of light falling from the ceiling dome onto the Orrean flag and border of gently flowing water, was crystal clear. So was her memory of how fascinating it initially seemed, only to become grating and depressing as the infamous lawyer Flitz Bauer tirelessly defended Gretchen, who was sentenced to life in Gatas regardless.

Gretchen was, without a doubt, truly evil. Jamie was not. Whether the jury would agree was another matter. 12 people were flown in from regions unaffected by Cipher to ensure impartiality. Their job was tough. After each session they had to remain under surveillance in a hotel, where they couldn't research the case or speak to anyone who could influence them, until the trial ended.

Amber glanced at them as they found their seats. There were eight men and four women of varying ages. None of them looked like they already had opinions, but it was hardly possible to tell. One man looked curious. He reminded Amber of herself when she first entered that courtroom.

Please be fair to my baby. See the good in his heart and be fair.

Trip squeezed her hand. She squeezed back. She knew that though he wouldn't say it, it was even harder for him to return to the courtroom where justice was finally served for his mother's murder; this time to see his own son, handcuffed in an orange jail uniform, led in by stony-faced guards. Amber willed Jamie to drop his cold indifference. If he showed no emotion, the jury would believe he felt no remorse and Amber knew that wasn't true. He was consumed by remorse... but could he show it?

'All rise.'

Feet pattered and fabric rustled. Only the judge, behind his long, raised bench, remained seated.

'Justice Bowen Burns presiding. Please be seated.'

'Good morning. Calling the case of the Region of Orre versus James Hawthorn Fayed Joyner-Massey. Are both sides ready to begin?'

Bowen seemed genuinely impartial. He surveyed everyone with the same expectant look. The regional attorney, Lindsey Talley, had colder eyes than Jamie.

'Ready for the people, Your Honour.'

Harper remained undaunted. 'Ready for the defence, Your Honour.'