Chapter 17: Rescued

Jovi joined Aiko and Yan at Team Magma's lab to study Kazuki's report. He wasn't at work. Yan insisted he took the day off to be with Clover.

'Kazuki's right,' Jovi said, 'We can quite easily jam these signals if we want to locate Shadow Pokémon, but at the moment, that will only aggravate Cipher. As for the other chips...'

There wasn't much to say about the listening chips. They were utterly anonymous. One thing, however, was for sure: if GoD made them himself, as it seemed he did, he wasn't just a hacker. He was an excellent hardware engineer.

Yan squinted at Aiko's report. 'This is an excellent report, Aiko.'

'Thank you! Leader Yan!'

'This Camden... is he technologically ept?'

'Not to the knowledge of anyone around him.'

Jovi nodded. 'He takes after his grandpa Leon in that way.'

'Then it cannot be him... I know very little about the Moores except, of course, the basics of Chairman Rose's despicable conduct. Forgive my ignorance. What does Leroy Moore do?'

'He's basically a poster boy for the mines, which Rose left to him and his aunt Oleana. His mom, Stella, is a lovely lady. He clearly takes after his grandpa, not her. Speaking of which... I haven't heard from Stella in months. I wonder...?'

'If he is a mere poster boy, is it even possible he is G-o-D?'

'Honestly,' Aiko said, 'I'm not convinced that it's anyone on that list.'

She didn't mention the audio. She didn't want to subject anyone else to it, least of all Yan.

'Nor am I. Luvaro and O'Reilly are members of your band, yes?'

Aiko was momentarily floored. Yan knew of her band? Then she was embarrassed. Did he know the love songs were about him...?

'Y-yes.'

'Surely you would be aware if they were leading a double life as Grand Master of Cipher? Who is Whitby Magnolia?'

'He's, uh, the son of Jet Jorjadze and Ruby Jane Robinson. Her parents are Sonia Magnolia and Randal Knight. His are Justy and Nimblis Jorjadze. Randal and Ruby Jane were once Cipher members.'

'Ah, yes. Randal's name rings a bell. I know of Professor Magnolia.'

'I agree about Chess and Ilirian, Leader Yan. Holly and I have been playing music with Ilirian since we could hold guitars. We don't know Chess as well, but...'

'Do they work outside of the band?'

'Chess is a Day-Care assistant. Ilirian is a computer scientist, like his grandpa Eldes, but he's not the hacker I am.'

'He's done work for us,' Jovi added, 'We were able to upgrade the Purify Chamber thanks to his knowledge of modern technology.'

'I suppose it is possible that he is more accomplished than he admits... but if he is a close friend of yours, Aiko, I see no reason to suspect him. Professor Mesquite. These Shadow Pokémon we can see in Phenac City...'

'Oh, yeah. There are only two possibilities, really – the first and most likely being that they were deliberately exposed to lure us there. The second is that they belong to an escaped Cipher member who knew to remove the chips – either to stop Cipher tracking them, or in the hope we might seek them out.'

'If it is the latter, are they not in danger?'

'If Cipher have an Aura Detector, yes. I was going to ask if Team Magma would be willing to check on them. Zane will go with you.'