Chapter 48: Unsettling View

Laila wasn't there when Ilirian visited Idir. Her Charizard scowled when he showed up at the shop with more dejected-looking flowers. She, too, glowered.

'What the fuck, dude? I don't even want to know. Go away.'

'Apparently I'm not GoD because my feet are too big.'

'Apparently? You mean someone else has to confirm you're not a criminal mastermind?'

'Well, if I am GoD, I'm not aware of it, so yeah.'

'You know, you really are Grand Master material, because you're a fucking buffoon.'

'I had this idea when Holly mentioned damaging time and–'

'Mate, I really don't want to know. Or need to know. If you're not gonna clear off, let's just go and be edgy somewhere.'

'Ah! The sound of Laila's forgiveness.'

Laila actually knew the police ruled Ilirian out. After a full facial examination, they concluded it was physically impossible he was injured as badly as GoD. She also knew he apparently had a valid reason for launching off the balcony, but as long as he wasn't GoD, she was too tired to care.

'Come on. Cam's fans are everywhere. I don't want them to see me hanging out with the Grand Master.'

Ilirian turned in time for the helmet Laila threw to hit him in the face. She sniggered, but he saw an undeniable flicker of fondness in her rolling eyes. Not everyone got invited onto the back of her motorbike. He was quietly beaming as it screeched off. It made more noise than any of the vehicles belonging to the neighbouring macho men. Raine called him her 'edgelord boyfriend.' Laila fervently protested, insisting he wasn't her boyfriend and never would be, but when the wind blasted her hair over her mouth and no-one could see, she couldn't help smiling at that description.

The parking lot for Fool's Gold Regional Park was quiet. It slowly regained its steady stream of sightseers as years without Cipher attacks passed, but now they were back, it was deserted. The crumbling Ruined Lab, where Amber was held captive while pregnant with Camden, was never reclaimed like the other ex-Cipher facilities. Its tall fences, topped with barbed wire, were unsightly. Laila knew it was full of Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokémon not only because Jovi let them loose in there, but because Kazuki and Clover thought it was a great date spot.

'But we're not going in there. I just wanted to get out of town for a bit. I can't hang out with you all day, though.'

'Am I supposed to have a witty reply to that?'

'No. I really am going to help Jamie unpack. He didn't want to keep living in the apartment where Lavender died.'

'Oh, I saw that on the news. Kind of sick that a fan's already bought it.'

'Right?! The police tape's only just come off. I'd invite you, but Jamie's really not a people person. And it'd be kind of rude to show up with the Grand Master.'

'I'm gonna order a custom pair of boots so you have to accept I'd be crawling if I'd been wearing GoD's boots.'

'You may not be GoD, but you'll always be the Grand Master.'

Ilirian sighed. Laila took out her P★DA.

'Let's take a selfie before you revive Cipher.'

Everyone who knew Laila assured Ilirian that she would treat anyone she was attracted to the same way. He knew, though, that selfies and motorbike rides were huge compliments. She didn't even tell him not to post it.

'For full edge value,' he suggested, 'Let's take one on your bike.'

'Oh, yeah. Then you can pretend you have a badass girlfriend, even though that'll never happen.'

That was her inviting him to post it. Laila propped up her P★DA on a rock to set the self-timer. Most of their photos ended in unflattering fits of giggles, but one caught Laila actually smiling.

'You know,' she said when they resumed ambling, 'GoD actually has quite small feet. You'd think that'd narrow it down, but it doesn't. Horace, Zjarror, Whitby and Chess are all 10s.'

'Whitby looks like his clothes are from Wail-Mart, not your store.'

'He wears some of the colourful stuff. Not the shoes, I have to say. But I always have to make sure there's a 10 available when he models. Jamie's feet are even smaller – he's a 9. He got teased for it.'

'That rules him out, then.'

'I mean... you could walk around in a size too big, but it'd be uncomfortable and potentially dangerous. Especially if you're running round killing people. I imagine stability is essential.'

'What about Cullen? He reminds me of the Gigantabus man...'

'Jaylah says he's a 10.5. So he could potentially squeeze into a 10, but it's unlikely... and how does he look like the Gigantabus man?!'

'The smile! He has a really creepy smile.'

'I think he's just super excited about Pikachu, mate.'

From the rugged cliffs above the lab, they saw gaping holes in the chain-link fences. A pair of Trapinch wandered by, but it was clearly the discarded fluorescent wire cutters that were responsible. Kazuki and Clover were guilty of trespassing in every abandoned building in Orre. They never left a trail of rubbish, though. Laila couldn't help wondering if Cipher were using the lab again. Ilirian must have agreed, because he shuddered.

'They could be in the cells, or the emergency tunnel, or anything...'

Laila squinted. 'Surely not? The coppers have searched it, haven't they?'

It was probably mind over matter, but there was something unsettling about that view. They walked a little further before returning to The Under. Laila usually looked forward to seeing her brothers, but she felt utterly useless whenever she spoke to Jamie. She had no idea what to say to comfort him.