Chapter 35: Truant

'Dad!'

Jovi echoed Wisteria's sentiment as she turned. 'Zane!'

She tentatively picked up the envelope as Zane trudged out. His eyes flitted from Reira, as if he didn't believe she was really there, to the signs.

'W-what...? Can I speak?'

'I think you can speak... but we'll give this person half an hour to get home before we tell you who it was.'

'Can I call an ambulance?! She's hardly breathing! Oh, fuck that. Wisteria! Give me your Altaria!'

'...Altaria?'

'I'm taking her to hospital!'

Wisteria uncertainly handed over Altaria's Poké Ball. Zane used Volcarona's reins to tie her to Altaria. Volcarona took off after it. Jovi pulled a letter from the envelope. She barely felt Anabel reading over her shoulder.

DO NOT READ THIS LETTER IN FRONT OF A CAMERA
DESTROY AFTER READING

Dear whoever,

This is going to come across like I'm GoD, but think what you will.

I felt responsible for Reira's disappearance because I was the one who repeatedly asked her and Zileh to investigate the resort. They were moments of frustration after years of being harassed and threatened by Wilmot, who we now know is a Cipher Admin (and Gretchen and Znider's son). I swear on the lives of everyone dear to me that I had no idea Cipher were that powerful then.

I have however had suspicions about GoD for years. They were confirmed when I went to his place after the attacks and found the device tracking Reira, which I was able to identify because it was so similar to the ones around my house.

Please DO NOT contact me asking who he is. Every room in my house is bugged. Cipher have access to the CCTV. Whatever is said there, they will hear. I am not a Trainer and Lyric can't fight off a whole bunch of Cipher members all on her own.

I promise that once this is all over and my wife and kid are safe, I will reconnect with anyone who wants to know me. Of course I want you all to meet my kid. I want them to know you.

As Alfie might or might not have told you, I'm also an alcoholic and though I've been sober for nearly three years now, I still have some apologies to make. I'd obviously much rather apologise in person, but in case something happens to me on the way home – I'm sorry to Laila, to Tahirah, to Mum and Dad and everyone else I've drunkenly laughed or smirked at to protect myself.

I will explain everything. I promise. If none of you want to know me anymore, that's OK, too. I forgive myself. And I'll sleep better knowing Reira is safe.

Love,

Camden

'I thought so.'

Anabel smiled wearily. 'He's not GoD.'

'Poor... poor... kid.'

Jovi almost blurted out his name then. Her hands shook.

'Can we use... her name?'

'Zane must be almost there by now. It's too late – and risky – for Cipher to blow up the hospital... there are police with strong Pokémon at every entrance since the bank incident.'

'What if they've already left bombs anywhere they might want to attack...?'

Wisteria scowled. 'How do we know he's not GoD?! That was weird as fuck! He just shows up with my half-dead mom and some signs telling us not to speak – and then he takes off again!'