Chapter 101: Orre to Kanto

It took almost 12 hours to fly from Orre to Kanto. Grey clouds parted as the plane descended. They revealed a sprawling, saffron-tinted urban vista.

Toru was fast asleep. Perry was asleep on his shoulder. Before the flight staff told them to stay put, Holly lifted Fuchsia onto her knee to watch the descent with her. Fuchsia hated airports, but she liked flying, especially when she could see cities from the air.

Both kids were fluent in Galarian and Kantonian. Holly was impressed. She learned a little Kantonian from Aiko and Lyndon, but only remembered 'arigato.'

Fuchsia and Holly giggled when the bumpy landing abruptly woke Toru. They couldn't believe anyone slept. A Bodybuilder, squashing the poor man beside him with his natural bulk, was snoring for as much space as he took up. Air Orre refused boarding if they didn't book two seats. Other airlines were yet to realise the massive Bodybuilders all came from Orre.

The moment Perry woke up, his enthusiasm resumed as if he was never asleep at all. He told everyone who asked for his dad's autograph that they'd be asking for his soon. Some accepted it just in case. With Holly holding her hand, Fuchsia rolled her eyes.

A camera clicked when they stepped into the bustling arrivals hall. Perry was the only one who didn't tense up. For a moment, Holly thought the photographer was Blue, but he was far too young. It was Jon. With lighter hair than his dad, he indeed looked more like young Blue's twin than Toru's son.

'Sorry! You all looked so happy, I just had to.'

He spoke Galarian for Holly's benefit. She shook his hand, conscious that she was only four years older than him, but if he was thinking that, he didn't show it. He just seemed glad to see his dad and siblings. His Poliwrath and Scizor took their bags. The hall smelled of coffee and detergent, but the cold air outside was scented by rain and petrol.

It was warm when they left Orre. Holly wore a shirt and leggings. Taking the jacket that Toru offered was already a reflex action. She was too enchanted by the rain to remember to thank him.

'Sorry about the weather,' Jon said, 'February is usually pretty dry. You're unlucky.'

'I love rain. I don't even live in a desert – I live below a desert.'

The family car was surprisingly battered and unpretentious. Its green paint was flaking. It struggled to start and violently juddered over uneven surfaces. Perry grumbled.

'When I grow up, I'm gonna have an awesome car.'

'You don't need it!' Toru insisted, 'Unless you're gonna use it more than we do, but I doubt it. You'll just fly everywhere.'

'Holly has a cool car. She gets it!'

Holly's secondhand car was hardly 'cool,' but it was indeed a step up from this one, which even Jon grimaced at as he drove. She knew they weren't just being cheap. It diverted attention. No-one expected to see someone as rich as Toru in a car that was barely roadworthy.

Headlights glowed on the damp concrete. Approaching the towering skyline, the roads were flooded every shade of a neon night by signs lighting up for the evening. Streets grew increasingly busy until they were packed with rushing umbrellas and impatient Pokémon. The massive Silph Co. logo was visible from almost everywhere.

Perry reached to prod Holly to point out every train station. He was especially excited about the Magnet Train that sped between Kanto and Johto.

'Can we take Holly to Johto, Dad? Please?'

'You mean can we take you to Johto? But our favourite conductor definitely has to ride the Magnet Train.'

'Yeah! Awesome!'