Chapter 22: Upper Hand

As Laila and Aiko searched the resort's tunnels, Holly and Wisteria landed in Carkol Mine to find themselves surrounded by patiently waiting Cipher Peons. Their grey uniforms were dimly illuminated only by the glow of GoD's helmet.

'Reira isn't here, but I'll make you a deal. Turn back and you have my word that she'll be returned to you by sunrise. I'll let you go without a fight. If you want to waste more of my time, I'll have to teach you a lesson... and you won't just be wasting my time. You'll be wasting someone's life, all because you refused to obediently fuck off.'

'Get real,' Wisteria snapped, 'That's my mom you have locked up. If she isn't here, where is she? And even if I believe that, how do we know a serial liar like you will really let her go? Are you implying you'll kill her if we don't go quietly?'

'Oh, no. That would be way too predictable. Who knows who might die? I don't even know yet, but don't worry. I can think on my feet.'

'How do we know you'll let us go?'

GoD pulled off his utility belt. 'As soon as you fly, I'll drop this. If I don't, you can come at me from above. Even if I'm lying, you can come back once you've figured me out, can't you? It's not like there's any reason for you to pursue this attempt. You don't have the element of surprise. I knew you were coming. Lights, please.'

Artificial light filled the shaft. GoD gestured to the crowd of hundreds surrounding them.

'This lot might not be budding Mt. Battle Masters, but there are hundreds of them and they all have Shadow Pokémon. And then there's me.'

'You could convince us to leave and then kill my mom.'

'I will not kill Reira. I promise. I might have to kill someone if you hang around. But you have my word it will not be her. It can't be her. She isn't here. And none of my employees are authorised to kill tonight.'

Holly's thoughts raced as Wisteria questioned GoD. Together, they could probably overwhelm him, but there were indeed hundreds of Peons with Shadow Pokémon. She could feel them. GoD could predict whatever he could hack, bug or blackmail. He couldn't read minds. Even if he was time travelling, he didn't know if Holly would act on her thoughts then, because he would have seized her already if he did.

Battling his Pokémon was pointless. They couldn't even snag them. Defeating him wouldn't force him to hand Reira over, there and then, because in the time they spent fighting off his followers, he could revive his Pokémon and battle again. That would only anger him. He would act on his threat to kill someone. He wasn't really offering to let them go out of kindness. He wanted to keep them away from his underground city... and his identity, which they could probably prove if they reached his quarters.

But maybe we can subdue him... and force him to hand Reira over in turn... without a battle. He probably doesn't care about anyone's life, but the city and the helmet... he wants to protect them. They're the source of his power. If he truly feels one or the other is threatened... we get the upper hand.

Holly didn't pursue a career in acting, because she preferred music, but she was still Chalcedony's daughter and Alfie's granddaughter. She was as convincing as any amateur.

'Wisteria... there's no point in fighting him. Or even arguing with him. We can't win. He'll just kill one – or both – of us. And Reira, probably, because let's be real – there's a famous person hiding under that helmet. He's a master manipulator. By the way, GoD... my parents have access to my location right now.'

'I know. And I know Wyatt doesn't even need it. He'll show up with 20 Gym Trainers before I've even decided what to do.'

'He sure will.'

'I'm not going to follow you, Holly. I don't want to waste time and manpower fighting you. My life will be easiest if you just fuck off. And I know you know I'm not being nice. I'm serving my own interests. That's why I'll hand Reira over in exchange for you getting your ass out of here. "Let's be real" – Zileh and Stella escaped. They've already told every wannabe hero everything they know. I have no reason to keep another cop who'll never join Cipher.'

'Come on, Wisteria.'

Holly climbed back onto Noivern. Wisteria hesitated. She certainly couldn't defeat GoD and all his Peons alone. If Holly was leaving, she had no choice but to follow, even if she returned with one of the others later. Noivern took off. GoD did as he promised. His knife and Poké Balls clattered to the floor with his utility belt. On his signal, his Peons did the same. Holly took a deep breath. Then she jumped.

In the second GoD panicked, wondering whether to grab his Poké Balls or run, Holly's steel sole hit his helmet. He tumbled to the floor with her. Her other heel sank into his chest. He was winded. Wisteria cheered. Noivern swooped back down. It understood exactly what its Trainer was doing without a word. Holly stamped on GoD's visor. It cracked. As every Peon frantically scrambled for their Poké Balls and knives, Noivern flung them back with vicious supersonic waves that Holly was immune to after raising Noivern from a newborn Noibat.

Wisteria released all six of her Pokémon. Light shot from Holly's bag as her Pokémon leapt out. Her Cinderace pinned GoD down. She continued to relentlessly stamp on his helmet until the cracks were stomach-churning.

With the Peons and their belongings displaced, no-one knew which Poké Balls were theirs. They panicked. Wisteria grabbed her radio.

'Yan! Yan, if you can hear me, come to Carkol Mine!'

'Lights...'

Whatever distorted GoD's voice began to fail. He was breathless.

'Lights... off! Now!'

The voice from his radio was nervous. 'G-Grand Master... if we switch off the lights, we won't be able to see, either...'

'Lights off!'

Team Magma were already on their way. Their flock of Crobat landed amongst scattering Peons. The cavern was plunged into darkness as every artificial light flickered off.

'Reira isn't here!' GoD shrieked, 'I can't hand her over! She's already on her way back to you! I was telling the truth!'