Chapter 85: Old Friends

Emma eventually insisted on a break. No matter how Jamie felt about it, she knew anyone needed time to say all they needed to say. She, too, needed time to unravel what she knew so far to figure out what she still needed to ask.

'I also need to check out your apartment and lab in Obsidian City. Now I know you a little better, I'll go do that.'

'OK. Have fun.'

'Can I inspect any devices?'

'I mean... you're going to even if I say no.'

'I won't if you aren't ready yet.'

'Whatever... do what you need to do.'

'I'll see you tomorrow. Sleep well.'

She smiled when she realised that was a ridiculous thing to say to someone with chronic insomnia.

'I don't sleep well, either. I admit I've had Pokémon blast me with Aromatherapy, just so I can relax...'

Jamie sounded genuinely interested. 'Does it help?'

'A little. It can't do any harm, so it's worth trying.'

'Thanks. See ya.'

A Pidgeot landed in the snowy garden. Abbey and Leon returned, with Naaji and Tahirah, on the backs of Charizard and Garchomp. Jamie saw Amber frantically shake her head, as if to tell them not to say anything. Before anyone could stop him, he peered through the curtains. A familiar silhouette, dimly illuminated by the Charmander tail-shaped garden lights, sat beside Trip.

'Why the fuck is Blue here?'

Abbey once knew Blue well, or at least she thought she did. She worked for him as a Battle Tree boss when she lived in Alola. She was loosely in touch with him and his wife, Mallow, another Battle Tree boss and their oldest son Dorian, Akala Island's new kahuna. It surprised her a little to see Blue, but he was Trip's guardian and mentor when Gretchen took him to Kanto and basically abandoned him.

'It's very nice of him to come and see your dad.'

'Uh,' Amber hastily interjected, 'Yeah, but they're probably having a real heart-to-heart, so...'

Jamie already unlocked the sliding doors to the garden. Abbey glanced up at Leon. He shrugged. He didn't get why that sounded more suspicious than it should have done, either. It was rare to see Blue admit defeat, let alone fear, but he looked frightened when Jamie's shadow fell over him. Trip hesitated. He wasn't scared of his son, but... he glanced at Blue. His old friend nodded.

'I guess... we need to talk at some point.'

Trip stood to return to the house. He was glad to be back in the cosy warmth. Winter in Orre's highlands was far too cold for him. Leon frowned.

'What's going on?'

'Er...'

He looked back over his shoulder. There weren't many people who knew about Lavender. The Hexagons did. Blue's best friend, Red, knew. Trip told Amber, because they told each other everything, but Amber knew he shared that in confidence. She never repeated it, not even to her best friends. They knew they were probably discussing Lavender, but Trip also knew Blue didn't blame Jamie for Lavender's Cipher career. If either convinced the other to stay, it was her. So he was sure Blue wouldn't want to argue or point fingers at Jamie... but whatever they were discussing, it was already heated.

'Long story.'

Tahirah curiously opened a window to listen in, but she shook her head.

'They're speaking Kantonian...'