June 11th, 1953 [Steve Rogers]

Pairings: Steve Rogers x fem!Reader

Words: 8.3K

Summary: Steve tries to help his ailing wife piece back the memories of their life together

Warnings: a few swears, portrayal of someone suffering from dementia

A/N: I just want to open this by saying dementia and the diseases related to it are all very serious and if you know someone suffering from this my heart goes out to you. I spent time volunteering in a care facility for those suffering from Alzheimer's and Dementia so my writing is pulled from those experiences along with stories I've heard.

--

June 11th, 1953. The familiar warmth, smells of fresh-baked bread, friendly smiles. The only thing Steve didn't quite recognize was you sifting flour behind the counter. He had never noticed your perfectly shaped nose or the way your hair gracefully framed your face, pinned up in a ball of curls along with a polka-dotted headband.

"U-Um excuse me?" he asked, gingerly stepping up to the counter. "D-Does Jeffery still work here? Or is David, his son around by any chance?"

"No, my dad retired a while ago and my brother's at home, but I can assure you I'm the next best thing," you gave him a wide smile, wiping your hands on a towel. "What can I do for you Steve?" you asked.

"H-How-?"

"You're wearing a nametag," you gave him a cheeky look, flicking the metal clip attached to his shirt before turning around to hang up the towel that was in your hands.

"Right," he laughed nervously.

"So if you're not gonna get anything how do you know my dad and brother?" you asked, coming back to the front of the counter just as the bell rang, signalling another person had entered the shop.

Steve watched as you eagerly greeted the old man who had walked in, already having his usual order prepped and insisting today it was on the house, early birthday present.

"Sometimes I'd play baseball with David, h-he was one of the only kids who didn't mind waiting up when my asthma kicked in. A-And I used to come here when I was younger," Steve explained after the man had made his exit. "With my mom. After she died I guess I just...forgot."

"Okay then," you nodded, squinting your eyes and biting your bottom lip in concentration. "I feel like I know you from somewhere else though,"

"I mean-,"

"Excuse me, mister," Steve was interrupted by the voice of a young boy who had just entered the shop. "A-Are you Captain America?" he asked shyly.

Steve glanced over at you, then back at the boy then nodded.

"What can I do for you son?" he asked, bending down to his height.

"I was wondering if you might be able to sign these cards for me," the boy held out some collectable cards with shaky hands and Steve nodded, pulling a pen from his pocket and signing the cards with a kind note on each. "Have a good day kid," he grinned. "And don't forget to listen to your parents!" he called after him while he ran out of the shop, ready to show off his cards to his friends.

"So that's how I know you, Mr. Star Spangled man as the posters would say," you chuckled. "Can I get you something, on the house,"

"No offence, but this isn't much of a business if you keep giving away free food," he noted.