Chapter 36: Calling the gang

Wow, I am on a roll people! Here is another super juicy chapter.(hehe) We were officially into the final plot now, which has just about started like a chapter or two ago. Buckle up peeps. First Love by Lost Kings and Sabrina Carpenter on top. I guess this song is appropriate for this chapter. Anyway,

Enjoy!

Chapter 36: Calling the gang

I was still in a state of shock. For some reason, my brain didn't seem able to process what the heck was happening. My mom is innocent. My dad was murdered. My uncle wants me dead. Luke and also Leo were in terrible danger.

Everything around me was collapsing. The life I had worked for. What scared me even more was that I had no idea what to do next. If I told anyone, Rick would hunt me down and definitely my mom and Luke too. I can't let that happen and bring innocent people into this situation. At the same time if I didn't, I can't freaking live with myself. Rick is insane as hell, and needs to be put behind bars. I was tempted to go to the cops and see if they could catch him before he finds me, but even I wasn't that stupid. For a guy who could pull of a murder now labelled as a cold case, and string my mom along for years, he was to be feared.

He must have survived the crash when he tried to kidnap me. The other hadn't been so lucky. If he was captured, that guy frigging escaped jail. He was not to be messed with. He probably had a billion contacts on the outside.

I walked to the car in a daze, with Jack's hand on my shoulder and Britney was going to get into the driver's seat. Then suddenly, alarm bells started ringing.

"What the hell?" Jack asked in surprise, looking back at the prison. Guards were running around like crazy, while inmates ran around freely, cackling like witches. Britney for once, looked terrified. "Holy shit, let's get out of here, crazed convicts are going to come out of there any second now and kill us." Jack pushed me into the car and slammed the door, and Britney screeched out of the parking lot. I was still confused. "What the hell is going on?"

"Looks like someone's trying to break someone out of prison. They must have unlocked the cell doors." Jack replied, hugging me to his chest in an uncomfortable way. I smiled at his instinct. "I'm fine Miller. I'm not a damsel in distress who needs protecting. But I appreciate the sentiment." He hastily let go of me, looking sheepish and scratching the back of his neck. He always does that when he's nervous. "Sorry." He mumbled.

We reached home comfortably after that, and it was now into early evening. We all got out, and Britney and Jack made to enter my house, but I stopped them. "You know what, I don't wanna go home. I wanna have fun."

"Ave's it isn't safe-"

"Not outside dummies. When was the last time the gang hung out together?" I ran over to fence separating Caleb's house from mine, and swiftly jumped over the fence. "Come on!" I yelled at Britney and Jack to follow. They both exchanged glances and reluctantly followed. I ran up to the door, and rang the doorbell waiting for someone to answer. The door swung opened and revealed a dishevelled looking Caleb, like he'd just gotten up from a nap. "Ava? Britney? Jack? What are you guys doing here?"

"Here to partayy!" I exclaimed and walked inside like I owned the place. "Is no one home?"

"My parents and sister are out for dinner. They invited me but I didn't wanna go and watch them fawn over my 'perfect' sister." Caleb replied.

"Dope! I'm calling the gang!"

Ten minutes later, Alex, Dean, Leah and Jake were at Caleb's house. By some miracle, all of them were free. Caleb just rolled his eyes and went to the kitchen to get some food. He totally didn't care that I'd just taken over his house.