Twenty-six

The taxi pulls over and we both slide into the backseat

The taxi pulls over and we both slide into the backseat. I don't want to use the car and I'm glad Red had similar plans as mine. Being broke has never felt okay as it feels right now. I'm like a young girl going on her first date with a financially reliable boyfriend.

My head rests on Red's shoulder as the taxi slides away, tired but not quite. He glances briefly at me, an exquisite smile on his face, and his big arm pulls me tightly to his side. It's dark outside, the streetlights as sparkling as the beautiful fireworks in my heart.

"Don't do it again," Red whispers. I blink at him, not getting his words. "What you did earlier today. It was dangerous, Mia. What if you got hurt?"

Oh, he's talking about the fast and furious incident? I sigh with my eyes rolling. Red scowls, hardly appreciating my reaction.

"I'm sorry, sir. I won't do it again," I utter dryly, for I'm too unsure of my craziness to be sincere with him.

"As if you listen to anyone," Red breathes, his tone resigned. I smile meekly at him, his scent calm and soothing. "Honestly, I knew the case had been dropped since yesterday. I called detective Smith and he told me so. I just didn't know how to tell you and-"

"You knew? Seriously, Red!" I pull away from him fast, glaring gravely at him.

"Mia, listen-"

"Why didn't you tell me yesterday, then? Why does everyone treat me like a damn fool!" I snap, disappointment lacing my voice, catching the driver's attention. "I hate this, Red. And it feels horrible coming from you." I recline back, my mood blighted.

"I'm sorry," Red says and I know he means it. But I can't help getting upset at this tendency of everyone thinking they're protecting me by hiding or doing things I'm not aware of. "What's most important to me is that you're fine, Mia. I'm sure you're no longer in danger if he decided to close the case. Maybe he's found the one responsible, that's why he did so."

The driver is back into his endeavor as my gaze slowly finds Red's face. His glowing eyes under the neon lights take my breath away. I slowly fix my composure. He's not the one who closed the case so I shouldn't be mad, right? I don't even know what to feel or think anymore.

The harder I try to accept things as they come, the more suffocating they get into me. I need to breathe but the restraints are getting tighter everyday. Would running away solve all problems? It suddenly crosses my mind and my eyes feel moist at each thought.

Red holds my hand instantly on my lap. "Mia, please don't let this affect you more than it already does. You said you want to start over so forget about-"

"I'm going to keep investigating until I find who was responsible for everything I went through these past few months. I want to know who Patrick is trying to protect. Is it really me, someone else, or himself? I need to know," I say boldly, my fastidious gaze stalking Red's stunned one. "And don't hide things from me, please. No matter how ugly they are."