Forty-three

Anne and Kenna arrive around ten-thirty, just as Imelda clears my breakfast table

Anne and Kenna arrive around ten-thirty, just as Imelda clears my breakfast table. They slump into sun loungers until their cocktails arrive—Butler Lucas' expertise—and he enjoys spoiling ladies. They drink and spend the morning fooling around in the swimming pool.

As for me, I keep working on my designs, only exchanging a few words with them when I have to. And although it's insuperably difficult for me to put my problems off my mind, both my personal relationships and work, I still need to go easy on myself before I go sick for real.

"Oh, look who's here!" Kenna rises up from the water, holding the handrails smoothly while sashaying her way up through the pool stairs.

She smiles brightly, wearing a full swimsuit that covers her whole midsection. I follow her gaze and meet Patrick, who's standing a few steps behind me, holding a huge bouquet of flowers. I lay my laptop on the table and get up on my feet, surprised that my husband is back at home so early.

"Hello, ladies." He strides over, his steps rich with nonchalance, and I stand still waiting.

"Hi, Patrick." Kenna grabs a towel and wraps it around her body, smiling at him. "You're still up to your game, I see. Are those Irises? Totally your favorite, right, Mamacita?" She gives me a teasing glance.

I know what she's doing.

"For you, my butterfly." Patrick hands me the flowers, a mixture of white and purple Irises beautifully wrapped together.

Irises are symbolic to us. Patrick brought me on our first night together, on the day he proposed to me, and on the morning of our honeymoon night. And I never missed them on every wedding anniversary of ours.

So yes. They are my favorite flowers.

Tears linger in my eyes when I sniff them. That soft buttery aroma, a reminiscence of a fresh bread in my mom's kitchen, and the smooth scent of suede, almost chocolate-like, coming from the petals is so soothing.

"Thanks," I breathe and smile tightly at him.

And he kisses my lips swiftly.

"You're home early." I clear my throat and move back in a subtle manner, serving us a safe distance.

"I promised I would, and here I am," Patrick says gently, grazing his knuckles against my cheek.

I'm not sure how to respond to this so I just glance toward the swimming pool, where Anne is slowly making her exit. She's wearing a leopard print bikini, MK's last summer collection, one of my best designs ever, and she looks divine on it.

"I'm not late for the party, am I?" Hair drenched, her smile piquant, she flounces closer to us. "Hi, Mr. Kingston." She outstretches her hand toward Patrick.

"Hi, Anne." Patrick reciprocates her gesture. "Long time no see, ladies. Hope you're making yourselves at home." His gaze glides between Anne and Kenna.