Thirty-four

If that Spanish bloodied woman I call my mom ever gets to hear the words I just told my bodyguard, she'd be baffled to the cores

If that Spanish bloodied woman I call my mom ever gets to hear the words I just told my bodyguard, she'd be baffled to the cores. It's an understandable fact, however, that I may be in love with this man.

It's frightening. I'm scared.

Red frowns quizzically as he gazes down at me. "Mia, what did you just say?"

"Um . . . I said that I'm sleepy?" I mutter. He stares at me with a tiny scowl on his face, a clear sign of how serious he's trying to construe my previous words. "I'm really sleepy," I repeat softly and kiss his lips in a similar manner.

"Let's go to the bedroom," Red finally says and rises up.

"Ouch!" I giggle when he tugs his sweet length out.

"What?" He looks amused.

"I don't think I can move," I state carelessly and I'm sure I'll be limping if I try to get up from this couch.

Red giggles while squeezing himself into his abandoned briefs. My gaze stays still on his sexy body that never tires to watch. Oh, he's gorgeous.

"That can be fixed," he remarks. I smile faintly, shifting and pressing my legs together to at least look nakedly decent. "Here, let's go." Easily he lifts me in his arms, and I think strong men are hotter!

I'm super exhausted, my arms curled around Red's neck as he takes small steps toward where I suppose to be his bedroom. I hardly hold my eyes open, but a smile on my face persists.

"Nice place," I whisper and let myself drift, feeling relaxed in a home that's not my home.

"Not enough for you, gorgeous." I faintly hear this coming from Red, but I get too little time to process when he opens the door and closes it a second later.

The room, the bed, the pillow—everything smells like him. The only thing I manage to clearly capture is the large flat screen on the wall, and Red's smile after he lays me down and puts covers over my nude body.

"Stay with me," I say in a very low voice, holding his arm.

"I'm not leaving. I'm just taking this off." He unfastens his wristwatch, eyes on me as he smiles. He deposits the watch on the bedside table and joins me right away. "Rest," he mutters.

I close my eyes in compliance, and he wraps me tighter to his side. I put all my troubles aside and get myself lost into this rare and beautiful tranquility. It's probably four, but an hour of sleep will do much.

When I wake it's almost dark. Shit! Have I overslept? Through the window I can see the golden sun sneaking into the dark, laden clouds. It's past six. Red is not here with me so the bed feels bigger as I wander my gaze around.

I'm still sleepy, but I know my time's up. Yawning, I tug the covers off my naked body and quest for something to wear. My clothes and purse are well placed on the large chair near the window, together with Red's shirt and his waist belt.