Twenty-eight

"Red, I'm fine

"Red, I'm fine. Really, I am." I try my best to sound normal, which I succeed in. Thank God. "Nothing happened other than our usual arguments. Patrick left the house and I'm already in my bed trying to sleep."

A heave of sigh is Red's immediate response. I roll to my side, hugging the soft pillow that smells fresh and clean. It's now that I realize the beddings and curtains have been changed into purple and white—not bad.

"Okay," Red replies coolly.

"And you? Where are you?" I ask, curiosity patent through my suddenly rejuvenated voice. "I'm sure you haven't returned yet, have you?" Maybe I should stop acting like his wife.

But I can't help it.

"No," Red answers. I frown. "I'm not returning tonight, Mia. I'll be there early in the morning, though."

"What? Why? And where are you going to sleep? I mean, where are you, Red?" A shrill of panic leaps inside me, an unhealthy scenario running through my wildest imagination.

Is he alone? It's the first thing that I try to rule out of my head, as I don't want any other woman with him. Fuck, I don't want to even think of it.

"I'm home, Mia. My home," Red says, his tone calm, and so is the surrounding of wherever he is; for I can hear almost nothing—except his voice.

"Your home?" I'm surprised.

"Yes?" He chuckles lightly. "I have a home, too. Do you think I lived in the streets before I began working for you?" He's amused, sarcastic even, but I'm indeed surprised.

Of course he's got to have a home. Silly me! Maybe that's where he goes when he's not sleeping here. Now I know.

"So, you're in your place? Alone?" I mutter, mentally slapping my face for being utterly obvious about my unchecked jealousy.

Again he chuckles, and damn it's a million stars shining in the night sky whenever he does that. I flush, biting my lip coyly.

"Is it my boss asking? Or Mia Vera asking?" Red demands playfully.

Magnificent son of a bitch! I roll my eyes.

"I mean, as your boss I ought to know who's living with you, don't I?" I blurt, and I know it's a pathetic answer.

My subconscious tuts but what's done is done. Who cares? I want to know if he has anyone at his home. Mia Vera or Mia Kingston, it doesn't matter right now.

"Am I really inclined to answer that question, Madam?" Red mocks.

I giggle softly, shifting my body so I face the ceiling above. "Yes, you are. Are you defying the Madam now?" I can feel his sweet smile, and quite unbidden I gather the dampness between my legs.

"Well . . . If the Madam is this curious about her humble employee, then I'm truly obliged to answer her question," Red starts, faking some manners that I know he doesn't have. A decent guy? No, he only used to be once upon a time. "Yes, I'm all alone. Do you want to come over?" he asks.