Forty-eight

Red doesn't come back to the hotel, but he gives me a call instead

"I thought you'd be here," I say begrudgingly.

"That was the plan, but I'm with Patrick right now. I just stepped into a washroom," he tells me.

"What? Patrick? Why?" I bolt up from the bed, holding my waist frantically.

"He wants to know where you are, and it's only a matter of time, Mia. I told him you're staying in the hotel and you want to be alone," Red explains.

"Why did you tell him that?" I snap, my voice upheaved.

"Because it takes a snap of a finger for him to find out, and he probably knew about it but he was just testing me," Red answers.

My breath turns heavy from anger. I run my palm over my face and sit down on the bed. I need no more stress so I should calm down. I breathe in and out, repeatedly, until I find my inner balance.

"So he knows where I am, right?" I ask.

"He does. But he won't come there, I'm sure of it. At least not today because he's drinking like a fish, talking about you nonstop." Red's tone of voice is now accusing, a hint of displeasure lacing it.

"I don't care what he talks about so spare me the details. Thank you so much for blowing my cover, I'm going to sleep now!" I reply coldly.

"Mia, wait," he calls gently. I hold my tongue. "If I lied to him he'd start searching for you. And eventually he'd—"

"And you still need him to trust you so you can continue living in that house in order to keep searching for whatever you're looking for, right?" I say sharply, a bit knowledgeable about his plan by now. "Sure, do whatever fits you, Red. I'm going to sleep because I have a very long day tomorrow." I hang up.

Back in bed I lay flat on my back, facing the beautiful intricate floral designs of the white ceiling. I think I'm alone in this battle, and the sooner I accept it the better.

It's nine o'clock as I roll to my side, pull on the comforter, and switch off the lights. A good sleep is all I need so as to pull myself together for tomorrow.

MK needs me urgently, for it's my main source of income if I want to become a totally independent woman now. I hope the new collection will turn into a success.

Please, God.

***

The morning comes and the new day begins. After a shower and a deep moisturizer on my skin, I get myself ready for the office. It's still a difficult endeavor to cope with this solitude, especially waking up in a different bed . . . and all alone.

Maroon high-heel sandals and a white jumpsuit is my quickest option. My eyes stare at the pregnant me through the mirror as I apply the lipstick—same color as my shoes—and an innervating feeling burns the pit of my stomach.