Fifty-eight

Kenna knocks on the door and draws herself in

Kenna knocks on the door and draws herself in. Frowning, my laptop remains on my thighs as I stalk my gaze on her, the contents on the file I received being the sole reason for my sudden mood shift.

"Hey, I'm sorry." Kenna shuts the door behind her, throwing me a contrite look and puppy eyes. "I know this is your life, and I probably know so little about it. I shouldn't have made such comments—"

"Come and see this." I ignore her rumble by shifting aside on the bed, serving some space for her to sit.

"See what?" She charges toward me.

"I hired an investigator to look into the fire case and here's what he found." I'm too stunned to even explain the details as I should.

I post the laptop to Kenna, who grabs it fast. Using her finger on the touch screen, she rummages through the contents. Her face fluctuates from blankness to shock, and I run an exasperated hand through my hair in a resigned manner.

Kenna takes her time going through the file.

"Wait! Are you trying to say that Anne was responsible for the fire? And that Patrick knew about it and yet he chose to cover for her?" she utters, her tone stupefied despite the evidence presented right before her eyes.

"Apparently," I breathe, not that I had no clue about it.

A photo of Anne and the guy who's suspected to be the arsonist is attached in the file, and the same guy was caught by the CCTV surveillance leaving Derek's car a few days after the fire outbreak. Is this a coincidence?

And what about the fact that he's been at MK as an IT technician just a week before the incident?

And also, I got the records of money transfers and call logs, mainly between Anne and Derek, and a lot between her and Patrick. The money she receives from my husband, on a regular basis for the last six months, is proof enough of their affair.

That bitch was telling the truth. Six months! For six months she's been fucking my husband.

"How could I be so stupid, huh?" I find myself laughing like a fool, my body drained as so little energy seems to be left inside me.

"My God." Kenna seems speechless, her eyes still on the laptop. "And why would Derek send her the money just a day before the fire, huh?" she mumbles, more to herself than to me.

"Maybe he was really blackmailing her, and so he had to pay for the service she provided, whether it was her idea or his. Or so that she could pay the guy for the job?" I probe tiredly.

I feel like my brain has stopped functioning, so I expound the facts however I see fit. Anything is possible but my slack mind can't think any deeper.

"Then they're very naïve to do this in such an old fashion. I mean Anne and Derek," Kenna says disdainfully. She glances at me and adds, "They're both stupid, right? In a criminal's perspective, this was like leaving your phone on while on the run, knowing exactly that you can easily be traced. But you're at advantage, my friend. You have a strong case if you want to pin that bitch and her accomplices. What are you going to do?"