Fifty-three

I think I look like a deer caught in the headlights

I think I look like a deer caught in the headlights. My eyes are frozen at his question, unsure if my answer should be frank or not. Of course I'm pregnant, but what will he make out of it? The more I think, the crazier I get.

"Mia, I'm talking to you," Red utters in a gentle voice that clearly screams the confusion in his head. "You mentioned about kids and—"

"Yes," I interrupt him.

"Yes . . . what?" He narrows his eyes, more confused than before.

"Yes, I'm pregnant."

Silence becomes his immediate response.

The world around us feels like a soundless, inhabitant planet. I could hear my heartbeat drumming through my ears, and my throat feels deprived of moisture. I look at Red intently but I can't see a thing.

A plain canvas is the look of his face—plain and ashen.

Is he angry? Surprised? Shocked? I wish I could tell which one he feels upon my statement. Seconds become hours as I wait for his reaction, even though deep inside I know what to expect from him.

Anything but a smile and hug.

"Won't you say something?" I croak, my voice dry and strained.

I want to hear his response, whether it's bad or good. I just want to get this over with.

"You're kidding, right?" Red says suddenly. I don't answer his question, for I'm pretty sure I don't look like I'm messing around with him, or in the mood to even try. "You can't be serious, Mia. No." He shakes his head to the sides.

Slowly I suck in a breath, trying my best not to retaliate negatively.

"I'm not kidding, Red." My voice comes out stern and exhausted. "I am pregnant and—"

"You told me you were on a pill!" Red snaps and launches up from the barstool at the same time. I nearly jump from the start. "I asked you, remember?" he adds mirthlessly.

"Of course I do! And it was nothing but the truth, Red! I'm always under birth control because I take regular shots for that matter!" I snap back, my emotions shooting out of range.

"So then . . . What happened? How come You're telling me that you're pregnant now?"

"I don't know!" I bolt out of my seat as I can't hold my composure anymore. "I was surprised too! I didn't plan for any of this and I don't know how it happened either! All I know is that it's been almost two weeks now and I haven't seen my period up to now and—" I pause as I keep seeing his expression changing incessantly.

He looks horrified, as though he doesn't believe whatever I'm telling him. My heart sinks and pain shoots through my veins. Of course, he's just a man like any other.

"My goodness, Mia!" Red runs an exasperated hand through his hair, shock and confusion evident in his eyes. He dawdles around with a hand on his waist, thoughtfully, until his eyes lock up with mine again. "You do realize that you're still a marr—"