Fifty-five

"What did you say?" Anne bellows while striding toward me in a crazed manner

I step out of my chair to regard her presence, blunt and uncaring. "I said you're fired! You no longer work here as of today, Anne," I repeat satirically.

I gather several gasps, including Anne's that's coupled with a frown.

"You can't do that!" Her voice reverberates with anger and disbelief.

I just tilt my head to one side, my one eyebrow lifted up slowly as I take a soft breath to exhale the bad air in my lungs.

"Mia, I have shares in this company! You can't just fire me without any proper reason!" Anne yells without any trace of shame, oblivious of her unspeakable sins. "You can't be this unprofessional! Work is work, and personal issues are personal issues. Don't you always say that?"

Is this bitch mocking me? I huff a tiny laugh and cross my arms on my chest.

"Proper reason? Are you serious?" I ask her, and to my left I see Declan getting up to his feet as though he's getting ready to intervene.

"You know my contribution to this company, Mia! I worked so hard and you know that!" Anne laments, her voice so emotional that I may cry.

"Oh you, poor thing. That's true. You're so important, Anne—what are we gonna do without you?" I mutter with a soft, sarcastic voice that turns her eyes dark. A wicked laugh leaves my lips until I turn to my left and snap, "Declan, you have my word now. In twelve hours only. If you get no buyer by then, I'll buy them myself. I just want her out of my sight for good!"

"What?" Anne yells, her eyes wide and raw, shocked. "That's not okay, Mia! You can't sell my shares without my consent! That's against the law!"

"Your consent? Law?" I laugh briefly, a flash of amusement well felt in my eyes. My forthright gaze finds her dryly. "Honey, you have no say on this! And talking about laws, I dare you to confront me legally if you think you have what it takes! Go ahead and do it!"

And you'll see what other bomb I have ready for you.

I hear murmurs from the employees, who are certainly confused about the situation. I don't give a damn about anything; my focus is on this shameless woman I once considered a friend—not just a friend—but almost a sister.

How stupid of me!

Anne's face softens after a few seconds. Smiling, she ambles close to me and mutters, "You seem so bitter, Mia. What is this? Can I at least know the reason why I'm being fired? I think I deserve that much."

I swear I'm gonna kill her!

Seeing my stirred reaction—fists clenched tightly to my sides, teeth gritted, and jaw stern—Anne smiles again and sighs.

"Don't take it too personal, Mia," she says quietly. "It's not my fault that you're not good enough to make your husband content with you. He was the one who—"