Thirty-one

I've never seen Patrick this complacent just because I've allowed him to sleep in his own bedroom

I've never seen Patrick this complacent just because I've allowed him to sleep in his own bedroom. Well, perhaps the day I said yes after he proposed to me with a princess cut diamond ring—smooth dinner with candle lights involved. He was a hopeless romantic, no wonder I fell head over heels for this man.

I let myself immersed into the past while cuddling myself like a little fetus in the womb. Patrick is silent, yet again, lying on his back with arms behind his head. Look what we've become. A part of me feels sick at the fact that I can't bring myself to hug my husband tight and feel his warmth as I used to before.

I just can't.

And then comes that malignant part of my heartfelt desire when I think of Red. Is he still with her? Maybe so, but it shouldn't matter to me, should it? What if I try to forget him and pretend the few moments we've shared are nothing but a beautiful fairytale that's bound to flee when the clock strikes midnight?

No, I need to sleep and nothing more.

"What are you thinking of?" Patrick asks and at last I gather my breath of composure.

"Just this and that," I answer in a low voice, somehow overwhelmed by the mixed emotions I'm entertaining at once. It makes me want to shout, scream, or cry, but I feel restricted at the same time. "I thought you're tired. Why aren't you sleeping?" I tug the duvet and shift my posture so my back is facing Patrick's bedside.

"How do I sleep with you so far away from me?" he utters in a resigned manner, sounding tired yet unable to put himself into proper rest. "You've no idea how much I'm missing you, Mia." I can feel his gaze.

"Maybe the day you decide to fix what's broken in our marriage will be the day I'll let you near me. Good night." I turn off my bedside lamp and shut my eyes; hopefully I fall asleep as soon as possible.

Until I unfold everything he's trying his best to hide, there'll never be us.

I wake earlier than my annoying alarm. Patrick is still asleep when I begin making myself ready for work, my mind refusing to focus on anything else other than my plans for the day. I let my hair loose, my makeup light, and step into white scarping heels to compliment my denim jumpsuit.

"Gorgeous. Do you have to leave so early?" I'm wearing my earrings when I hear Patrick's voice coming from the door.

I still my gaze on the mirror, my head tilted to one side as I attach the last earring. "Yeah, I have somewhere to go and some paperwork to finish. What about you? Aren't you going to the office?"

I can hear him approaching as I grab the bottle of French perfume he bought me from his last trip to wherever he's been.

"I will, but later. I suppose you're still doing the bank loan shit?" His tone is pissed even though he tries to sound less accusing. I don't let it get to me. I sprinkle the perfume nonchalantly. "Mia, I gave you enough money so why—"