𝟒.𝟖

July 16, 2021

I'm going to be honest, the Swordsman Village arc is not my favorite. Writing this was super hard because I had to go back and forward to the manga. So I am so sorry if some of the information I interpreted is wrong. Don't hesitate to correct me in the comments or through my dms.

ALSO! This fanfiction is officially a year old! I remember being such a nervous writer, unaware about if anyone would even bat an eye to my work. I made the cover of the fanfiction in three minutes on a rush, grabbing a random photo from my camera roll and slapping some text on. I never knew I would be sitting here with 27K.

Who knows. I might be changing the cover. What do you think?

Stay safe! Thank you so much for everything you do.

cursed

----

The Swordsman Village was a secret haven, covered in a cloud where no demon or intruder would be able to bypass. Even us Hashira had to be accompanied by several Kakushi in order to be lead back to the main pathway.

You'd probably think, "That place has got to be the safest in all of Japan if it's hidden like that." Don't worry, that's what I thought too.

It's a luxurious place, only people with special roles and requests are allowed to enter its quiet gates and swim in its rivers of culture and festivities. Having it being my first time there, it was something I was looking forward to again for my next break.

It was like every color in the world was concealed in this town. Every talent and every secret path were unlocked in this town. It was something quaint and peaceful, away from the realities of demons and taxes and death.

Truly, you'd call it paradise.

But every lock has a key or something to open it. Every object has a weakness. And so does this village.

Never in my life would I have imagined to see a bustling city be overrun by demons.

Just a few hours ago, we were packing and getting ready to leave. Buildings were still in tact and inhabited with families, children, and elders who were working on crafting Nichirin blades with their own hands. Just hours ago, stands were filled with food and antiques ready to be given to someone in need. Just hours ago, this village was still standing and alive.

"Mitsuri! I'll scan for survivors! Cover me!" I called to the Love Hashira beside me, her whispy blade flying along with our jumping movements.

Smoke ran from every corner, covering the city in a tight layer of ash and dust. I'm surprised the air was barely breathable. We leaped over the broken stands, food still hot from the stove as it fell onto the cobbled path.

Mobs of morphed creatures mixed with the body forms of human and koi fish were stomping through the ruins. The air around them reeked of metal, same scent as blood. My eyes watered from staring at them for so long.

It wasn't until I saw three survivors curled in a corner, one of them holding a Nichirin blade. They wore Swordsman Village masks, so it was a key sign that they lived here.

The one with the sword waved his hand, calling out with a shriek.

"OVER HERE!"

I was already landing on the floor, ready to lead them to safety. Dust collected around my radius and fell as the survivors locked eyes with mine. With my knees locking as I stood up, I gathered the three and held them by their hands and shoulders.

"The path is blocked by debris. We have to go around the hot springs!" I announced to them as I pointed them through a thick swarm of bamboo. "There, you should read the women's hot springs. From there is the southeast exit, I'm sure you know!"