𝟑.𝟑

It's been a week and a half since the death of Kyojuro Rengoku. The whole atmosphere in the estates and in Headquarters has been as gloomy and lifeless as ever. Sometimes, I'd even hear Rengoku's cheery laugh echo down an empty hallway as I walk towards my bedroom. It's never the same when someone of such importance dies.

Even as I walk in the garden, I swear I'd see him with his arms crossed, his haori flying in the air as his eyes watched the bright sky. 

Tomioka was staying at his estate for the time being. He said he was going to start training me once more after my ankle fully heals. I can use crutches to get my way across the place and I'm practicing walking on my own. Shinobu says I can't put too much weight or pressure on the ankle.

So I'm doing small strides and walks, holding onto a railing while Aoi holds my back up.

Inosuke was right. Tanjiro was in such a dark place. I went to check on him, but he didn't respond. Not even a turn of his face towards me. Zenitsu was feeling gloomy, but would always try to force a smile onto his face.

I decided to check in with Tanjiro once more. This time, I'm bringing a plate of onigiri in case the other boys want some as well. It'll be nice to see them smile just a bit, even during this strange time of mourning.

While walking down the hallway, I met eyes with a special kind of yellow haired boy.

Zenitsu was walking down the same hallway, coming from the opposite end. I looked to see what he was holding in his hands, a plate of manju from the batch this morning. He seemed to flinch as he saw my limping figure approach him.

"(Y/N)-"

"I won't tell Aoi." I chuckled as I shook my head, my hair slipping from behind my ear to cover a corner of my sight. "I stole some onigiri for you guys as well."

Zenitsu's face expression relaxed, lowering his brows as he let out a soft sigh. But as he looked up at the hospital door in front of us, it was like we were both contemplating on going in or not. We both let out a sigh, both having the exhale sip through our closed lips.

Exchanging a final glance, Zenitsu opened up the door. A beam of sunlight hit our faces as we both walked in. Aoi must've opened up the curtains this morning. It was cooler in this room, wind brushing up against our cheeks as they lifted the curtains in a gentle and petite manner.

"Tanjiro!" Zenitsu chirped, his sudden tone in voice changing as a smile was planted onto his face. "(Y/N) and I brought food! Let's-"

"TANJIRO IS GONE!" All of a sudden, Kiyo's shrieking figure popped out of nowhere. She swung her head back, hitting Zenitsu right in the safe as she did so.

I was so shocked, I was about to drop my plate of onigiri as I stepped back against the door. Kiyo headbutted Zenitsu so hard, he fell right onto the floor.

"Oh my- Kiyo! Zenitsu!" I cried out as Kiyo collapsed right onto her knees in a teary and beat red mess. Unlinking one of my crutches and placing it to lean on the wall, I bent down to tend to both of the fallen victims. While my right hand still held one of my crutches, the other was putting the manju back into the plate.

"AHHHH! ZENITSU! (Y/N)! I'M SO SORRY!" Kiyo wailed, her hands pressed against her face as she trembled where she sat, shaking her head in all directions and sending her hair flying in each direction.

Looking back towards Zenitsu, he lifted himself up carefully. Yet, he had a bloody nose right on his face as he held up his hand and a shuddering smile crept onto his poor face.

"No, no... I'm fine..." he chuckled, even his voice trembling.

"What happened?" Turning to Kiyo, who was wiping her eyes with her small white apron.