𝟓.𝟏

Himejima brought me refuge in a nearby hut for the night. I offered to stay outside with the rest of the Demon Slayers, but he insisted I get my own space. The hut was warm and cozy, with only one room and a closet for appliances and bedding.

The tatami mats were stained from usage and the windows creaked to every push of wind. From above, an oil lamp hung over a stone slab, a space used for cooking and crafting. The air smelled of forest and river water. It was a refreshing scent that reminded me of the Swordsman Village.

I placed my belongings against a wall and opened the closet for bedding when the door slid wide open.

I flinched to the sudden noise and reached for my sword, swiftly drawing it forward.

In the doorway, dimly lit, stood a towering figure with a certain scar etched across his face.

"Shinazugawa?" I tilted my head, staring down at the younger Shinazugawa, Genya, before me. He lifted his hand held lamp towards my direction, eyes squinting at my figure.

"Oh, Yoshioka." He sighed, removing his footwear and stepping onto the mats. "Don't mind me, Tanjiro beckoned I start the fire here for dinner."

I yawned, now relaxed as I placed my sword back in its sheath. "To my knowledge, I thought I was the only one staying here."

Shinazugawa nodded his head. "We used this room for its kitchen appliances. Nothing more." He lit a dim fire on the stone slab.

My last encounter with Shinazugawa was rough. Our limited interactions made the environment roar with awkwardness. He simply tended to the fire while I unfolded the dusty bedding. I remembered him to be abrasive, direct, and loudly spoken. But now, he looked as simple as a farmer as he placed a pot on top of the fire.

"Congratulations on your Hashira promotion." He broke out.

I turned to him in surprise. "Thank you, Shinazugawa, it was-"

"Call me Genya. I supposed keeping track of two Shinazugawas will give you a headache." He interrupted as he poked his skewer at the fire. "Was my brother too rough?"

I paused, weighing the decisions in my head as I swayed. "Yes, but Himejima states he had softened."

Genya smiled and nodded. "How nice." A chuckle suddenly left his lips. "My demeanor was angry when we last left off. I apologize."

I paused in the middle of unfolding my sleeping mat, my head tilting in a sudden surprise. More surprises and apologies had filled my day. I swallowed hard, biting the inside of my lip.

"It is alright, Genya. I can see that your character has changed as well and appreciate this new outcome." I giggled, motioning to him as I continued to fold out the mat. Dust lifted suddenly and I waved it away with my hand. "I'm glad to see your injuries healed from the Swordsman Village, too."

Genya and I shared a warm smile. He acknowledged my words and continued to tend at the fire. A comfortable silence spread between us as I folded out the blankets and patted down the pillow, ridding it of dust.

"WAIT!" I chuckled, slapping my forehead. Genya flinched and straightened his back to the sound of my sudden exclamation. "You mentioned Tanjiro?"

The scarred boy let out a sigh of relief. "You freak me out, woman. Yes, I did mention Tanjiro. Him and his trio will be here bombarding the peace soon."

Him and his trio.

Him and.

Inosuke.

My face lit up in flames of excitement. It felt as though my hair lifted from my shoulders and my eyes widened to the sizes of stones. My lips curled into a beam of smiles and my body felt light and airy.